Fly Fishing Forum banner

North Fork of Powder River???/

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  TULSAFLY 
#1 ·
Need any information anyone might have about the Wyoming river....thanks in advance for your responses.

#5 ·
If I remember right the North Fork of the Powder is a great fly fishing water. As for flys I'd say Blue Winged Olives, Midge patterns like a Griffits nat size 18 and 20. To early for PMD's more than likely but be ready. Nymphs will be your major thing, can't go wrong with hares ears , prince nynphs in size 12 to 16 even wooly worms in size 8 or 10, brown, black and green bodies griz hackle. Bring some big stuff in case you fish the lower Powder bet there are some big browns hidding in old car bodies used as rip rap. Not kidding on that one it's great western fishing at it's best sort of like casting a fly under a dock in Boston Harbor. April in the part of Wyoming you are headed for is a major snow month as they get their snow in spring so if you use felts be prepared to walk a little taller. Hope you have fun and hope you don't use an indicator while nymph fishing.
I'll be fishing the Big Horn in Wyoming the end of May Looking forward to it. What a river with the biggest trout I've found yet in Wy or MT and hardly anyone figured that out yet.
OC

#8 · (Edited)
Just for the heck of it. I have been fly fishing for 27 years and really enjoy it. I was asked by a guy from ESPN last fall and thought why not.....I can truly tell you that if I finish first or dead last it makes no difference to me....I have a friend that I have been fishing with for 20 years so it makes a good excuse for the two of us to take a road trip....it's all in fun

#9 ·
Since I seem to be having problems with my ISP I'll keep this short. There are probably 5 people that I know of that are qualified to help you in Wyoming. All of which are in Jackson: Carter Andrews, Gary Wilmont, Mick Brockman, Jay Buchner, and a girl who's name escapes me at the moment. I think Carter may be competiting this year but not qualifing. Bone up on your casting, you will be casting against the likes of Steve Rajeff, 13 time international casting champion. Who by the way came in 3rd in the casting competition last year. But, since it is all about the biggest fish anyway, all that does is get you the best hole. Feel free to email me if I can help you. I take it you know the guys from "In Search of Fly Water"?

John W. Wilson

#10 ·
It took a bit but as I recall her name is Cristy Ball. I believe she is an independant giude on the snake, but you can call Jack Dennis's shop or West Bank Anglers there in Jackson and find her easy enough. The trip from Tulsa to central Arkansas would have been much more plesant. I would think fishing Wyoming in April would be a little early. Here again email me if you need any information.

John W. Wilson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.