Fly Fishing Forum banner

Louisiana redfishing

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
As luck would have it, I might find myself in the New Orleans area in September near my birthday. If we're in the area, one of my gifts from my wife would be a few days of redfishing. :D

I've done the usual search on the internet for guide services and have several lined up that I will explore, but I would like to hear from anyone who has practical experience with guides in the area. I'm not looking for the old "I've heard good things about so-and-so".....I'd prefer actual personal experience. I value the opinions of the Forum members here, and this would be new territory for me.

Thanks in advance, and if anyone would rather PM me with info that's fine.

#2 ·
I regularly fish south of the new orleans area but have never used a guide. I just went and "paid my dues" I would recommend going to these sites and read the reports, that way you can get a feel for the guides in the area. www.louisianasportsman.com and www.rodandreel.com

#5 ·
I went out with a guide named Greg Arnold a couple of years ago. His service is called E-Z Fly Guide Service.

He picked me up from my hotel in downtown New Orleans and I had a good long day of fishing. I caught two reds, lost one and saw plenty more including one that was enormous right under the boat. I think that I could have done better but being my first time out fishing saltwater I was pretty happy with the two I landed.

He took me out on his flats boat- we were way the hell out there- perhaps 20 miles. Nothing around just the marsh, porpoises and redfish. I really enjoyed it.

The spoon flies are popular down there but I wasn't convinced that the reds were too particular. I think crabflies will also work well. Let me know if you want more details. There is also an Orvis shop right in downtown where you can get info and flies. I picked up a clouser they call the Mardi Gras Mama there. Everyone should have at least one of those in their box. ;)

regards

Geoff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.