Fly Fishing Forum banner

We're Moving!

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Due to the high occurrence of problems recently, I've done some investigation into the server behind this site. It turns out that we can gain more reliability my moving to a newer, more reliable server in another data center.

This means that:

a) any IP based links and bookmarks will no longer work (text addresses like http://flyfishingforum.com are fine)

b) we will have a downtime that I will coordinate for minimum impact, probably a couple of hours and perferably at night

I will provide fair warning when I have agreed on a date/time with our hosting company.

thanks,
Juro

#7 ·
Right now the server is just crankin' fast... it must be conflicts with other apps and services running on the virtual hosting arrangement. I am going to look into dedicated servers or at least more isolated processing conditions, although costs can be significantly higher and it might not be feasible.

#8 ·
In looking into all this, the only way I've found so far to avoid sharing processor cycles with other applications (some of which are obviously taking their toll on us during prime time) is to pay for a dedicated server. The lowest price I've seen so far is ~$200/month. Of course the server would absolutely scream, but we'd all have to pound the pavement to sell ads to keep that going when you factor in all the other related costs.

Still looking for an affordable shared hosting arrangement with limited parties as opposed to an arrangement whereby the back end seems to be shared by as many other sites as possible to maximize profits.

The search continues...

#10 ·
Are you saying they are quick now or want to get quicker like me? I found the site to load slowly for the conservative color / image design used, but then again none of it had been cached on my browser and the second time it might be lightning quick.

Anyway, thank you and I will email you.

#12 ·
Thanks Jeff, I looked at these three and this is what I found...

a) jumpline hosting plans don't offer enough file storage for what we already have built up, and they don't offer any limited share or dedicated plans.

b) apollohosting.net is a bit cheaper for comparable plans but don't offer any limited share or dedicated plans.

c) pair offers the high-end but at higher prices than others investigated (approx $50 month more)

Thanks anyway though. Still looking...

#13 ·
Juro, you haven't emailed me yet, and the site I pointed to you at is hosted on an enterprise class server with dual t1's and t3's plus some newer faster stuff that I don't even know what it is yet. So if you saw it load slow it's on your side, that's a result of having 100k worth of file size on the home page and your slower connection :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.