Fly Fishing Forum banner

Teeny TT-275?

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rhodyflyguy 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Teeny 275 grain Tip Taper line with a 22' head and 60' running line, and am having some difficulty casting it. I am using a 9x9 Orvis Clearwater rod, and a 6' 30 lb. Ande leader with a piece of yarn on it. While the line is loading the rod fine, only about 1 in 5 casts lands straight 60' out. 2 in five land in a mess at various distances, and 2 in five land in a very large L, hinging near where the head and running line join. I have triend throwing open and closed loops, sidearm casts, belgian/oval casts, and overhead casts. I have triend having 1-2 feet of overhang, as well as stripping the head into the rod and shooting it out on the back cast. The last fast sinking integrated shooting head that I used was a 300 grain Orvis Wonderline depthcharge, and that was a pleasure to cast, both on my orvis Clearwater and my 9x10 Loomis Crosscurrent, so I'm wondering if I'm screwing up, or if the line just sucks?

#2 ·
A couple of thoughts on your problem:
1. 275 grain is a bit light for a 9wt, but you indicatged it loaded the rod ok. I use a minimum of a 300, but generally a 350gr on a 9wt.
2. Short heads tend to dump, which gives you the "L" or the rubbish pile at the end. Try slowing down your forward cast. Heads generate a lot of line speed and shorter ones plain run out of unfurling with a kick at the end.

I find that using 26ft Rio Striper heads, I need to slow down the forward stroke to fully turnover and extend the head in a straight line.

Bjoth Rio and SA have debuted heads with T-14 that can be cut to length/grains based on the size of rod. I use 30ft on a 10wt, which translates into 420 grains.

#4 ·
I own the Teeny Tip Taper in 175 Grain. It is a modified chuck & duck line with added weight in the tip section and extremely difficult to cast. I have few spots that I fish that line in the salt that feature strong current through narrow passageways. I gets down faster than any other line and is excellent for its intended use and probably outfishes any other line in those conditions. It fishes well only with a short leader (4 feet). For general salt use, I would get another line. If it was easy to cast it would be longer than 82 feet :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.