Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ready for Spring?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jfbasser 
#1 ·
This being the first spring that I`ve had a boat, could someone give me a brief rundown of what`s required to get it ready for the water? It`s only a 16` tin with a 40 horse Evinrude, I pulled the batteries and fogged the motor last fall. Is it a major undertaking?
Slinger

#2 ·
Steve,
Most of the year end and spring maintenance on my boat is done by the shop where I bought it, so I don't have alot of experiance with it. Some of the recent publications, On the Water, The Fisherman..., have a section around this time of year dedicated to spring start-up as well as trailor maintence, I'll look thru some recent ones and see what I can find.

#4 ·
Slinger,
This is my first Spring thaw too. I don't know much but I'll offer some advice I've picked up here and there. Use new gas - if you did not use fuel stabilizer in the Fall it might be best not to use the old gas in your engine. Others please comment on this. What's the shelf life on gasoline mixed with 2-cycle oil?
The shop where I got my supplies recommended using a carbon remover (basically an overpriced can of Gumout) after starting the engine and running it for a while you use the carbon remover to clean out all the burnt up fogging oil. They said to give it another treatment 1/2 way through the season, something about it being cheaper than a new power head. :eyecrazy: New plugs might be a good idea. Changing the fluid in the lower unit might not be a bad idea. Here's to no water in your gear oil.... Don't forget the trailer wheel bearings.

Last but not least - make sure the water is on when you run the engine. :rolleyes: :

#5 ·
About 12 years ago carbon buildup was causing engine failure. To combat this manufacturers tried to suspend carbon cleaner in oil to alleviate the problem. They were unsuccessful, but to avoid having to ask all those people with oil injection to put an additive in the gas like they did with oil in the old days and inconvenience them they suggested using gasoline with injecter cleaner (Sunoco Ultra and a few others at the time) and to decarborize twice a year. Finally, TCW3 was formulated with the cleaner suspended and I was told that use of that oil was sufficient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.