Fly Fishing Forum banner

Clear Lines

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
Picked up my new lines at Smitty's Friday putting the final nails in the coffin of my fly fishing budget.

I usually go with the braided loops. I'm ashamed to admit that I obviously didn't think this one out but, after Smitty put them on for me, I realized that the loops are neon green! I think it's kind of counter-productive to the clear line....

I was unable to find an email address for Cortland & Smitty is in upstate NY this week so, what is the recommended connection for a mono loop? Albright? Hufnagel? Lithuanian sheep-shank?

#2 ·
Hey Roop -

The 444 clear lines take a nail knot directly (unlike some other clear lines). If you want to use a loop, take a section of stout butt material like 30# mono and nail knot it to the end of the line. If you don't have the stuff (a nail, tube or large needle) to tie the knot handy, the allbright is a good alternative although it's a bit bigger in size.

After you attach one end to the line, put a loop in the other end of the butt section. You can either go perfection loop (preferred) or surgeon's loop (stronger). 2-6" from the line to the loop is all that's needed.

So to summarize: nail or albright to attach butt to line, perfection or surgeon loop on the other end.

Hope this helps! There was a link to a knot site posted a few days back....

#5 ·
Roop,
i'd think about using the albright. it just seems to lock the lines together a little better. it is slightly bulkier, but I hear all kinds of bad slip stories with the mono line and the nail knot. I just put "clear" braided mono loops on my Airflo clear line, which are really white, but i don't think they will show up too much in the water. I will be happy to make you a couple to check out if you want.

Jeff

#6 ·
Thanks Jeff I appreciate it.

And Juro, thanks for the illustration. I was wondering about the ability of the clear line to hold the nail knot. I was also thinking about the old trick of making a loop out of the fly line by using the nail knot, gluing it and cutting off the tag end & the running line.

Jeff - you still in for Pocasset?

Roop

#9 ·
I think nail knots aren't a good Idea for clear lines. I would suggest either an albright or using two nail knots to make a loop in the fly line. The later is what I do. To do this take one end of the fly line and bend back 3/4 of an inch. Then holding the line together take a 6-8 lbs piece of mono/floruo and tie a nail knot over the two pieces of fly line. Then tie another one. Try to get the two knots as close as possible. Now you have a clear loop connector. I usually cover the tag end and the nail knots with some softtex. This helps it go through the guides better. I love this set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.