Fly Fishing Forum banner

clear intermediate lines

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
I posted this on gear reveiws, but maybe it belongs here. I'm thinking of going for a clear int. line this year. looking for recomendations, slams,complaints, and praises. air-flo and sci-angler seem to lead the pack, with cortland right on their hears. I keep hearing about sci-angler cracking, does it happen onm these line too? if you use clear, is it a pain in the warm weather? thanks, Tom D

#2 ·
Greetings;

I have been using the Air-flo clear intermediate for a few years now. It is excellent - no complaints from me. I rinse it after every outing and apply line cleaner to it to keep it slick. I also let the entire line straighten out in the current quite often to keep it tangle-free.

#5 ·
Tom, I went through a few flylines last summer and although I can't really recommend a line I loved, I would recommend that you stay away from the SciAnglers line. I bought mine at LL Bean's(great return policy) and after the coating on the third one started cracking and coming off I decided to get a refund instead of exchanging it yet again and I went with a Rio aqualux line. The Rio was a little more durable than the SciAnglers, and I liked the way it cast a bit better, but it too was starting to crack by the end of the season, so i'm still not satisfied.

I'm probably going to go with an air-flo this season and hope that the 5 year no crack guarantee is for real.

Matt

#7 ·
Fishawk- I hope I'm not prying into any trade secrets, but what do you use to clean the Airflo line. I have one and after severals outings it feels dirty all the time no matter what I use to clean it. The problem gets worse when the water temp gets warmer than 70. I have tried Armorall and just washing with mild soap and water plus several other line cleaners. The line doesn't crack but then I find it doesn't cast as well as the Sciangler in the warmer weather here in NE. ronl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.