Fly Fishing Forum banner

How to Remove stickers

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
The folks at the DEM were kind enough to make my registration one digit different than the previous owner. My problem is that I need to remove the last letter.
Any tricks for removing the stickers without damaging the gel-coat? These things seem to have become one with the hull. I'm going to try a plastic putty knife but I was hoping there was some magical solvent that would make the job neat and easy.

#2 ·
worth a try...

Heat it up with a hair drier/heat gun and it might soften the adhesive...peel/scrape with soft hull friendly blade.
[I took the Hydra-Sport lightning bolt off in one piece that way]
Orange goop will usually make short order of any remaining sticky residoodoo.
Lemme' know how it turns out...

#4 ·
One caveat with the heat gun and fiberglass-- go slowly. Too much heat can do strange things with fiberglass. Use just enough to remove the sticker but no more. As for peeling the sticker off-- avoid metal scrapers. You'd be better off buying a 39-cent plastic putty knife.

Keith

#6 ·
Jim -

You might have done your work prior to my posting this.

Re: Keith's caution:

Having some background in an industry where hand-held heat was an imperative, I suggest you use the hair dryer on hot, directing the nozzle in a slow sweeping motion over a few inches at one time. Do not attempt to create a bubble in the tape, indicating a separation of the bond; instead, when an edge/end is heated enough to be pulled away,

take the gun and continue aiming the head down the tape line, continuously heating ahead of what you're peeling. If you peel at a forty-five degree angle to the tape, it should separate nicely.

As Penguin said, then some Goof-Off or straight mineral spirits to remove the remaining adhesive, a wash with a mild de-greaser or a wipe with alcohol-based cleaner. Use soft, non-abrasive cloth to rub off the adhesive residue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.