Fly Fishing Forum banner

Leach Patterns = large smallmouth bass (LP=lsb)

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mayflyman 
#1 ·
Relativity speaking, of course.
I used a red/black marabou leech and took 8 smallies today...
One was over 14 inches.
It sure made my one-weight flyrod & reel sing. :)
I used a #8 streamers hook for the pattern, a red poly dubbed body with a black marabou tail & collar.
The water conditions of the Mahoning River (in Ohio) was stained due to rain, however this pattern proved to be the right choice...
The #8 hook was well past the upper limit of the little one-weight flyrod, but it was all I had that worked...

#2 ·
I've tried bunny/ leech patterns and never really had success with the ponds I fish here in Mass.

Nothing like stressing out a rod! I have a 4 weight I like for warmwater that I can "lob" a 2/0 popper or Dahlberg with but I can't imagine taking a fish as powerful as a 14" smallyon a #1. Congrats!

Roop

#5 ·
John Desjardins (08-13-2001 10:05 a.m.):
Randy, that sounds like a great time. My experience with leach patterns in New England matches that of Roop. This may be due to my never seeing a leach while out on the stream. What water conditions do you find the leach patterns work in?
John; I found the leach to work best in stained or muddy waters. Black & browns tend to work best. This is due to the contrast they give to the dirty water, the fish can see it.
Try black/red, all black, or black/brown patterns. I tie a white/yellow leach but that works best in clear waters.
Best of luck...
mayflyman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.