Fly Fishing Forum banner

Neoprene Socks ?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  salt dog 
#1 ·
I noticed "Neoprene Socks" advertised to be worn over the wader neoprene foot as extra insulation and to protect against excess wear on the footer. Is anyone using these and have an opinion on their value?

I'm about to re-gear up for another pair of boots and breathable waders and could use some feedback on the subject. With a 2mm Neo sock, would you go up a full boot size ?

#2 ·
SD, adding additional neo will add warmth .. .but the problem will be the width of the boot due to the added bulk. You can make up the 'fore and aft' part by purchasing a longer boot ... but that won't do you much good if (and they usually arn't) wider (At least a 'double EE')

#3 ·
Wide boot

Thanks fred, that's a good thought, especially since my feet are on the wide side anyway.

What I'm really after is a way to protect the neoprene footer from excessive wear; I just wear a sock liner when winter fishing. Last two waders I had both developed small leaks in the footer over time, too small to locate and fix, but just enough to cause dampness after awhile. My thought is that the leak was from wear against the inside of the boot. I would periodically seal the whole outside seam, and that would take care of it for a few more outings, then it would need to be done again.

Doesn't Simm make a wide boot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.