Fly Fishing Forum banner

New York in August?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Stevo 
#1 ·
What would the fishing be like around New York at this time of year?

#2 ·
I would guess that bluefish would be there in force, stripers hunting around the breakers and the albacore and bonito would be showing like mad around Montauk, which is among the most famous locations on the entire coast for saltwater fishing.

I'd contact our new sponsor tightlines flyfishing, located in NJ very close to the NY border. tightlinesflyfishing.com The fishery on the New Jersey coast is legendary as well, and the drive is quite reasonable.

Also Saltwater Edge, located in Newport Rhode Island who knows the Ocean State's South County which is not too far to drive for some real quality fishing in August. Driving east, you would be in the thick of things once you hit Rhode Island and we are sponsored by three captains who charter in the hot rhody fishery: Capt Ray Stachelek, Capt Bob Hines and Capt Dave Sanderson. All have smokin fishing boats and know how to hunt down the action.

If you went north, there would be some world-class trout fishing in the West Branch of the Delaware or if you have some time to drive Upstate NY is famous for the Catskills.

It depends on what you are after... trout or saltwater?

#6 ·
August is a bit early for hardtails around the Montauk area unless you are talking about very late August. The bass and blues should be well in force; early morning and late evening excursions will produce better than any other times during this period. Last season saw a large body of fish hanging around the south side of Montauk from the point west, alot of these fish were very large and very shy during the daylight, I think if you were so inclined putting the flyrod down for a bit a slinging a big fat juicy eel at them would have worked well. But I opted to stick with the feathers and went hitless while watching many very large logs swim under the boat. This year I will be at it again with different tactics at the ready in case I run into the same type of behavior. Live bait will always outproduce any other offering but I want to fool these large fish with my creation not gods :D . Feel free to contact me around that time and I would be more than happy to give you a a better idea of the pulse of the action around then.

Mike M.

#7 ·
Sure thing, thanks Mike.
My trip would be around the last week of August and definately a fluff and feathers affair!
Don't mind getting up early either, although I will have to divide fishing with seeing some of the best sites New York has to offer... Other than lunker Bass and bluefish! :D

#8 ·
The question is, where in New York are you planning on going? The state is massive, and what would seem like a relatively short drive from one place to the next is deceiving; for example, it's roughly 2.5-3 hours drive from the tip of Long Island to the City (NY). If you're concentrating on the fish that are hanging around the end of the island, you may find it a pain to see some of the city sights; besides, with good fishing, who wants to be anywhere but on the water waving the long rod? :devil:

#9 ·
I assumed Stevo is visiting NYC. You can be into good trout fishing country with a 2-3 hour drive west of NYC into western NJ, PA, and southern NYS rivers. However the water is usually very low that time of the year. Pretty country though and some historical sites to see out that way also.

Depends what you want and how much time you have its at least a day trip out of NYC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.