Fly Fishing Forum banner

Your average NW flood vid

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a typical flood here in the NW and it's the Sandy River just outside of Portland.
The Hood river looked about the same but we have no houses on the flood plain.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/18921387

If you are not familiar with the Sandy River let me tell you that most of the year you can float down it in an inner tube and a cold beer.

#5 ·
Yup, what a day it was what a week it will be. 60F out today we even had hornets flying around. But I worry about our flowering trees that they may bud too early.
River was almost ready to fish this afternoon still a bit dirty.
Looking forward to showing Juro around later in the week.
By the way that was West Seattle in Juro's picture with the Bremmerton to Seattle Ferry cruising by.
Cheers

#9 · (Edited)
Same mountains in the background three days later. My son on the Hood Canal hunting Sea Run Cuts and the next day, Hoh, Hoh, Hoh!!!!!!!!! Stopped to see the Elwha on the way back. We could have driven forever! Good luck Juro. Concentration will be difficult to say the least! Phil

#13 ·
Hey Phil better be careful I think those are Moonlights secret runs that you are showing pictures of. :eek:
We had 400 fish this last week come over the dam. I thought that was low compared to last year by a mile. But checking it is way more than last year, last year I had over 30 fish to hand at this time and this year maybe 10 or 12. You never know every season is different. But things should get hot in the next couple of days as a lot of those new fish will be going to one or two rivers the White Salmon or the Hood. Two hundred fish in a small river like the Hood means there are fish all over the place.

#17 ·
No Need For Kindling!

Steve. Remember that wood pile? Take a look now! Wood fire has been burning 24-7 and is half gone. Loads of snow and more coming. Other than those fortunate enough to be in the tropics and catching fish, your report from yesterday tells us you may be the only person catching anything on this Forum! Keep at it and we look forward to today's and the rest of the month's reports from OR. It hit 0 degrees Fahrenheit here in Ct. last night. Phil

Attachments

#18 ·
Phil I feel for you and all those who are frozen in. Snow level here is up at 4000 feet, partly cloudy and 50 degrees. Yes the fish are in, Saw two more fish being walked by their new owners back to owners car. This morning I drove to lower 4 miles of river and when I got my gear out something was missing, MY WADERS! That was difficult to say the least. Will try again tomorrow, maybe even Juro will show but that's never a sure thing. If he is a no show he might be missing some good fishing Can't imagine a long flight home without fishing in the tropical NW.:hihi:
PS Looks like you should have enough wood to make it to March. Keep warm.

#19 ·
Thanks OC. We'll stay busy by tuning in here on a daily basis in hopes that someone, somewhere has a bend in their rod so that we can dream of warmer days and.........................moss on trees! LOL!

Phil

Upper Sol Duc Falls trail.

Attachments

#20 ·
Ok a quick report on todays fishing. Lots of walking about two hours worth fishing along the way. Saw no one fishing on side of river we fished, lots of gear guys on other side. I caught none my friend released a bright wild 10 or 11 pound hen. Beautiful day out here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.