Fly Fishing Forum banner

Out Of Control

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  rooster 
#1 ·
The corner of the cape was just out of control over the last few days with the sun illuminating the flats and the big tides pushing things around.

I've never caught this high of a legal to sublegal ratio (majority keepers).

All my trips went extremely well in terms of fish to cast to and fish caught.

Pods after pods after pods after pods.... you couldn't stand and wait for the Rip Ryder without more pods coming by.

Big brother day was a winner, even better than last year!

It was THE time to be there even if you went only once. Just plain AWESOME.

See less See more
#4 ·
Good to hear - or actually not, almost makes me wanna cry...
I have been thinking about my first trip to the Cape for years, and encouraged by this board, had booked and paid flights (non-refundable btw) to be there right now, 12-29 June.
But then came a new job - and with it no holiday in June! The job is great but reading Juro's report, I'd still rather be chasing stripers...

If I manage to wipe away my tears and get another chance in the Fall, what would you recommend for the probably best timing, late Sept - early Oct. I suppose?
I like beach fishing too, not just sight fishing. I understand I'll probably need to throw bigger flies in the Fall. I would be happy with just stripers, no need for tunoids on my first try.

Some day, hopefully...

Jussi

#6 ·
Jussi -

If you come out in September / October make sure you contact your Worldwide Flyfishing Forum brothers before your visit - we'll take good care of you. The fishing will have progressed into the fall migration stage by then and although the flats fishing will depend upon new variables (for instance did the bunker wander into the flats channels, etc) there are plenty of healthy gamefish around with an urgency to fatten up for the winter. If this fall doesn't work, consider next year about this time as a second option.

Leland -

Attend the reception by all means, just don't fly back for a good week after the wedding and make the short drive to Cape Cod. In fact lose the tux, I'll drive down to get you and the Mrs.!

#7 ·
Thanks Juro, I'll definitely contact you when I get closer to actually getting there..
Fishing in June has a lot of appeal to me, longer days, nicer and more stable weather, less educated fish etc. But the fall is an option too, let's see how things work out.

Enjoy the fishing there, you are lucky guys! Salt water fly fishing in Europe is just a waste of time. I've been lucky to fish in the Keys, Bahamas and Africa, but the old continent is way overfished. Too bad we always have to fly far away for our hobby, but someone has to support the airline industry.:)

#8 ·
Seriously...

Leland...
Receptions are way over rated...and after a phew drinks no one will even miss you...
There's always room at Area 61 for a WestCoaster!
JUST DO IT!
:devil:

#9 ·
Just left the Cape, stuck in DC for a few days of work....then onto too sunny CA. Had several great -excellent days on N. Monomoy and one on SB. Super fishing and size was large, only regret was that the slowest 4 hour period was on Fathers Day Morning with the Big Brothers group on SB. Overall, fish were hungry and visible. Tough to beat.
Life was gooooooooooood.
Also, met some great guys and was able to put the faces with the email handles.
I will return in July. Save a few for me......,
Cheers,
DK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.