Fly Fishing Forum banner

New to fly fishing!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Mikejr 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me some pointers or advice, I'll be fishing mostly warm water species, bass, pike etc......also from a yak! Been an avid fisherman over a decade but just starting into fly fishing.

#2 ·
For this fishery you're probably talking about a 7wt or higher, since bass tend to get big and sulk in weeds. I prefer an 8wt cause you never know what lurks, plus they likje big flies. If your pike are big you might consider a 9wt.

The bigger the line the bigger the fly, generally speaking. The line is measured in grain weight and the shorter the fat portion (head) the bigger fly it can punch unless you develop a long energized stroke like Mark Sedotti for instance. Still since you will be retrieving the fly, the shorter head approach is a good working approach for deerhead bugs and other effective bass bugs.

If you have smallmouth in rivers, you're in for a treat. Not only is it fun to flyfish in rivers due to the presentation and workability of line in the water but the fish fight like hell.

It's good that you have a yak because most bass ponds are grown in along the shore and you're better off casting to the shore than from it.

Good luck in your new venture and keep us posted!

#5 ·
Hawkeye said:
To get the most out of the winter and to enjoy the full flyfishing experience, take up fly tying. It's a blast to take a fish on your own creation.
Absolutely!

There is no better way to immerse yourself in the world of fly fishing. It's relaxing, enjoyable, and you can be as meticulous as you like. Furthermore, it's a lot of fun to catch fish on your own flies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.