Fly Fishing Forum banner

thread killing prowess

4K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  Sprocket 
#1 ·
is there any prize or bragging rights for the "most threads killed"

I'll bet I'm good - probably the highest percentage of post vs. kills...

Have keyboard, will travel.

#2 · (Edited)
Ah Ha! The 'nailed fist' goes down....

$10 bucks says I change the course of 'thread' better than you do. Nana, Nana, Nana. (Did I spell that right?:devil: )

Actually that 80% of the fun of the Board, were will this thing go?
FE:D

Juro gets to be the only judge, and gets to hold the money ... as long as it's not PayPal'ed; 30 day bet. :>) Still no clue on how to use that thing. Bothers me to give a complete 'stranger' the number to my "sweep" bank account card number. (Juro, second plug for just take my cashiers check for the darn hats for Joan and I :) )
fe

#5 · (Edited)
You realize this one will never die.

I've often felt I was the curse of the thread. You can have the honor? though if you like .

Looks like someone is going to have to go back and see who holds the prize for being the last to post a reply on a thread. Do we really want to know?

I don't think swinging the conversation off on some far out tangent is the same as killing it dead though JD.

#8 ·
You know that I thought that I had the power to do just that. I would answer a thread with something that some one didn't like and then that thread would just sit there and die.

I've did that on other sites but I haven't killed anything here yet. But what wrote previously will probly do it.

I really like a challange. Jim S. The other Jim S.:hehe:

#10 ·
clarification

To be clear:
I have noticed on this, and another BB, that my postings usually end all discussion of a thread - no more posts on the topic. Hence "thread killer".

Fred does have an interesting view though - thread changing! It starts about a fly pattern ends up about little league baseball...what the?

If you look at my total posts, how many of them are the last one on a given thread? I'd say better than 30% (or close to it).

Old man: I almost didn't reply :D

I've also consulted a 5yo and it's "Na na, nuna na"

this has got to be a winter topic...I'm going fishing! See Ya!

#12 ·
I don't think that there is a way to define the best thread changer because it takes at least 2 to tango.

Now back to Sprockets question. I see a couple of different types of thread killing methods. There's the nobody has anything left to say thread killer exemplified by this post to a really wandering thread. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?s=&postid=40371#post40371
Then theres the power slam as exemplified by this post which no dared to answer. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?s=&postid=41039#post41039

In the spirit of that last post I'll try to kill this thread with this offer.
If anyone is willing to handle the collection, I'll handle the shipping.

#15 ·
Friends, I'm in a class all by myself. Just look at the "Windmills In Nantucket Sound" thread. 6 replies (a couple by me) and kasplat..dead. We haven't heard a peep from the originator since.:D

Another way to hose a thread is make a personal remark. For instance in the middle of a thread about "Flats Lane stomping and Worm hatch hook ups" come out with a comment like: "So Jimo...that was a nice fish you caught out there...too bad the shuttle boat prop cut you off...See you thrusday at the FQDD Diner wink wink..."

That will kill a thread dead.

Lefty

#16 ·
Gosh, Hall I note that you and I get

at least 'screen credits' or 'honorable mentions' in both of the above posts.:smokin:

"Now back to Sprockets question. I see a couple of different types of thread killing methods. There's the nobody has anything left to say thread killer exemplified by this post to a really wandering thread. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyt...40371#post40371

And that was a very ugly fly! :>)

Then there's the power slam as exemplified by this post which no dared to answer. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyt...41039#post41039 "

Well, I thought about it .... some.
fe

#17 ·
Lefty said:
Friends, I'm in a class all by myself. Just look at the "Windmills In Nantucket Sound" thread. 6 replies (a couple by me) and kasplat..dead. We haven't heard a peep from the originator since.:D

Another way to hose a thread is make a personal remark. For instance in the middle of a thread about "Flats Lane stomping and Worm hatch hook ups" come out with a comment like: "So Jimo...that was a nice fish you caught out there...too bad the shuttle boat prop cut you off...See you thrusday at the FQDD Diner wink wink..."

That will kill a thread dead.

Lefty
Terry, I agree with some thead killers, but the windmills, no, don't agree. I thought about mentioning the discussion conducted on FFSW, because it didn't last very long there, either, though the discussion WAS interesting. I hoped it would raise more interest here, pro and con. I think the Otis idea is very smart.

re: 'dinner and drinks' at Pop's Diner...who can stop it.

Gee Sprocket, whooodathuuunk you'd get this kinda mileage out of a threadkiller?

#19 ·
I always felt a bit embarrased whenever I posted what I felt was a though provoking comment only to find it the last breath on the subject. Makes one inclined to check armpits and breath - "I did remember the deodorant this morning didn't I??":rolleyes:

Then there is that other category of the invisible post. You know, the one where you think you have clearly contirbuted a valid point to a thread but no one notices until someone two posts later comes up with the same answer and everyone says "yeah that's right...".:eyecrazy:

Anyway, I own up to and apologize to everyone for being a (at least occaisional) thread killer and disruptor of the directional integrity of otherwise well focused electronic discussion.

#20 ·
Adrian, I think many of us have felt that way at one time or another regarding intelligent input. It really makes one wonder if there's any relevancy to the reply, then a bit of aggravation from the recognition of it through another post/other way.

take John's post above, for example. It is very clear in it's statement of "relax, lighten up, because it really doesn't matter, etc." and he's right, but Todd's question AT MINIMUM deserves to be carried out as far as possible, so he doesn't think he's a thread-killer:rolleyes:

My apologies, as well, for any contributory diversion from subject matter in threads.

#22 ·
Geez, I killed 2 or 3 my first week being on the board

... do I get some sort of achievement award for that? How about figuring up a ratio of number of posts vs. number of threads killed? With my current low number of posts and high number of killers, I should be out in front by quite a healthy margin! Yeah, Striblue, that was hilarious!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.