Fly Fishing Forum banner

Lessons learned

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ssully 
#1 ·
Loosen up my cheap yankee purse strings and drop ten bucks on some florocarbon. For every Spanish Mac Sully and Mike caught I watched one cruise up behind my fly and turn away,also get an intermediate line. Most of all though, while squinting into a perfect September sunset on the way home I thought. Perhaps I have been a fishing hermit of sorts for to long. Often I have thought that if I could divide my single self into many how much more fun fishing would be. To be able to fish a dozen or more different spots at the same time and at the end of the day gather your selves back together and relate the stories, surely you would never have a bad day. For me this weekend all the selves came together all different yet all the same. It was a great weekend thanks alot one and all.

G
#2 ·
Tim - you've summed up the clave phenomenon extremely well! The experiences of the group become intermingled with the experiences of the self. Thank you for being part of it, and I hope to see you at the next one. -Al

#3 ·
Lessons Learned:

a) Be ready for toothy critters with 'cuda like profiles

b) Be ready for picky tunoids with football like profiles

c) Use a loop system to exchange flouro front taper and tippet with wire as needed, fly on the tippet ready to go

d) Have scouting information current to within 2 days... not four, our four day prior scouting trip was deceptive in that we must have been seeing the tail end of the major push to the east when Al and I scoped it out on yakbone II

e) Require a reasonable deposit to fund supplies and food in advance in case of no-shows. Thanks to John Middleton's line auction we will have a way to recover a large percentage of our costs <applause for John>

f) BRING <b>WASABI!!!</b>

g) It's worth taking the extra step to plan what people bring with a little more structure next time, (but not too rigidly)

h) Washburn's has NO TABLES!!!

i) allowing the rip current to animate the fly with occasional jolts (what I call the "shock and stop") is an effective way to cover a lot of ground and excite exotics (while at the same time saving your arm strength for fighting the fish). It's a good second technique to add to the classic run-and-gun.

#4 ·
j) When there is a hard 1/2 day deadliner like BrianC, we'll need to make certain that another boat arranges to swap passengers. As you know the swap arrangements were ad lib.

k) A hand held radio at camp would be a good idea. It could be left in a place where no one but clavers knew about it. This would have allowed Sully to hail us in from the water. Actually, they should have hailed us on the radio when heading in.

#5 ·
Juro,
You're right, Sorry about that. I should have made arrangement to get Sully on to another boat Sunday afternoon. I didn't think about using the radio until we were back at the camp site. At that point, we were able to raise Marvin, but the rest of the Clavers were too far east and out of range. We also reasoned that he could have used his cell phone to arrange for an afternoon trip. He didn't seem to too worried about it at the time, I think he had his mind on setting up and crawling into to his tent!

Brian

#6 ·
I wouldn't zoom in too much on this one incident of many. Simply because the majority of the boat schedule was altered on sight due to a number of reasons. Who could ever have imagined I would end up down in the Elizabeths with Josko on Sunday afternoon? I would vote to plan boat schedules once everyone is on hand with the exception of the initial launch from White's Landing with all the gear.
It may just be impossible to plan that dimension out unless everyone totally commits to showing up and following along with it. The loose nature of our clave enrolments allow for slack on the commitment side. Oh well, we're still learning as a group and we're bound to go through a few more. Someday we may get a real wanker of a problem to deal with, so let's be ready.

Terry

#7 ·
No blame intended Brian, only wanted to learn from our mistakes. We can't thank you enough for your contribution to the cause and I hope next year you can hang out longer. Thanks for chippin' in despite your very important appointment in the afternoon.

I suppose by Boneclave V we'll have it pretty well figured out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.