Fly Fishing Forum banner

Eleuthera

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
I will be heading to Spanish Wells off of Eleuthera for one week around Christmas this year. I am sure the fishing will be good, I was curious if anyone had any advice for me though. Either on the fishing itself or a guide to head towards. I would like to go with a guide early in the trip and then do the rest myself. Thanks for any help!
Nick

#2 ·
Nick -

First check out the report from Kevin O'Connor in our destinations section

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/destinations

Kevin has been there again since then with more emphasis on tarpon and permit. We are expecting a second trip report, I'll ping him on it.

If I recall others have been there too, a search might do the trick.

Our sponsor Gil Berke is a world traveling angler, he might be a great source of info.

#3 ·
Juro,
Duh! Thanks, I knew this place sounded familiar to me. My parents are getting a place down there for Christmas week, so that's why I'm going. I love this web page!
Nick

#4 ·
Nick,

I've been down to Spanish Wells twice now. Both times it was March. We stayed at the Adventurer's Resort. A nice place and quite inexpensive. We also rented a boat from them. It turned out to be the owner's boat. We've stayed in touch with the woman who manages the place, so if you need a place to stay, I could send her a note for you.

What do you want to go after? We primarily went for bones, but when they weren't around (which seems to happen quite often in March) we had fun jigging for 'cudas in the mangroves. We also didn't use a guide ourselves, but there were a few around. We thought we would do as you plan on our first trip, but we ended up just going to one of the nearby flats the first afternoon and having some luck, so we never did hire one. One of the guides that is around is a real character. His name is A1 Broadshed. A1 is his first name: a buddy got a card from him! I don't know that he guides for bones, but he does take people out to the reef areas to fish. "No fish, no pay" is his motto.

I think it is best to have a boat. There is one nice sand flat at the north end of the island and a turtle grass flat at the south end which can be reached without a boat, but that is about it. We liked a large flat near the ferry from North Eleuthera on the North Eleuthera side of the ferry. There is also an amazing area called Corrie Sound a little ways down the coast of Eleuthera. It is a completely sheltered sound, just spectacular. The other islands near Spanish Wells have flats around them as well.

That's just some general stuff. Do you have any other specific questions?

Juro: the 10wt line was great. It matched the Reddington 990 nti nicely. I will get the next story together too. I haven't forgotten :)

Kevin

#5 ·
Kevin,
Thanks a ton. My parents are renting a house on Spanish Wells, so I have a place to stay. We are also planning on renting a boat (21 ft mako I think). Not too much of a flats boat, but at least it can get me there. I may have more questions as the time gets nearer, (flies, locations, etc) but since its so far away and I haven't really done much research yet on my own, I'll hold off.

Nick

#6 ·
Nick,

If you live near Boston, we can probably get together sometime and I can even loan you the flies we used. Even with that boat you will be able to do the flats. All the ones we fished had deep channels right next to them. You could put an anchor on the flat and let the boat stay in deep water without much trouble. Or have your folks drop you off and pick you up later if they aren't into it or decide to dare the Devil's backbone and visit the other side of Eleuthera!

Kevin

#7 ·
Kevin,
I live in Somerville, Right next to Tufts. I would love to meet up as the time approaches. I can't wait.

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.