Fly Fishing Forum banner

Care about your fish? Don't use these...

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
#6 ·
There's only one thing that monstrosity is designed for ... GUT HOOKING! Dear God what an idiot! I'll ditto Penguin's comment and would happily volunteer for hook setting duty.

What's next? Exploding hook?

New from Berriman enterprises ... The Explohook. Avoid the hassle of having to fight your fish. When the fish hits simply trigger the handy remote detonator strapped to the reel seat. The carefully measured explosive charge will explode simultaneously stunning the fish and filling it with explosive gasses causing the fish to rise to the surface where it can easily be retrieved or left in place to act as chum. Available in a wide variety of charges from small mountain brookie to giant bluefin. Act now while there are still fish to get!

#7 ·
...explodomatic...

Hawkeye...You could have a serious future in "retail"!
A few sketches, some obligatory forms and some ca$h sent to the pattent office and you'll be on easy street!

#8 ·
neat stuff

I don't actually see the advantages of it to be honest.

I think the possiblity of people actually catching fish on it is so slim that they will be out of business soon.

I make several hooks in my cubby hole blacksmith shop, and they are barbed just to be traditional, we had several people comment on the 'mean' barb on it, so we went fishing with them and guess what? no news to my guys, but the barbless hook of the same size caught more fish.

#11 ·
grenades, TNT and other stucking stuffers

can all be cast, or at least lobbed, the trouble with grenades is that the terminal tackle gets ruined every cast!

What used to work well in deep water for smelt and lakers was to tie a cement block to a bundle of TNT, three sticks sewn into a section of inner tube worked well. Then if the fish are holding say 30 feet off the bottom , you tie on a 30 foot length of clothes line and away you go.

While this isn't the 'sport' that Pike Shooting is in Vermont, it has merit as an Olympic contender, right up there with stoning pools.
which I also think started in Verrrrmont, but can't document that.

If we dig a bit I bet Berriman is a vermonter.

Oh, ps I have a few grenades left about if you want to try casting one, but please don't pull th epin, I need them what with the new home security system I put in and all.;)

#12 ·
Vermont has spring pike shooting still ? .:tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk:

That state is out of control, I am having problems at work with their state legislature on some commercial legislation they recently passed. Much to liberal a state.

I never fished there but used to ski their a lot in my younger days.
Killington, Stratton, and Stowe, etc

Shooting fish here in the Upper Midwest (Michigan/Wisconsin, etc.) is not legal and we do have our share of illegal fishing especially for the salmon running out of lake michigan. With some of the local characters I have seen over the years, if I knew they could legally have guns on them I would not be fishing I can assure you. :tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.