Fly Fishing Forum banner

looking for specific types of instructional DVDs

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BigDave 
#1 ·
Hi all. Newbie in the house.

I'm looking for an instructional DVD on fly presentation (particularly trout). I have seen many videos on casting, but none that focus on getting the fly to land naturally. I would like to learn how to mend appropriately and how to reduce drag and micro-drag. Anyone know of any?

Also looking to find a video on casting anything BUT a dry fly. I'm taking about casting nymphs, streamers, tandem rigs, basically anything that makes casting more difficult than casting a dry.

I need to improve on these two areas but I never have a chance to see anyone else doing it because I fish solo.

#3 ·
worstcaster said:
Try Joan Wulff's Dynamics of Fly Casting
I already have that one. It is by far the best DVD I own, its just not as specific as I want it to be. First off, she doesn't use anything weighted on the end of her line, in fact I believe she uses a piece of yarn most of the time. And she doesn't go very much into detail on mending, just a tiny bit in the reach cast. She focuses on the mechanics of casting and does a very good job at it. My interest is in the presentation. Such as: where to land your cast, mending line, getting a good drift, how to work a stretch effectively, etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.