Fly Fishing Forum banner

A first for me

7K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
All of us have our little idiosyncrasieswhen we tie that affect our abilities. For me the major one has been that I had a fool for a teacher (myself) who didn't know which side of the tier a vise went on and learned to tie lefty rather than the right handed that I am. I've been noticing for a long time that my production was much slower than I thought it should be.

Last night I decided that since I hadn't tied in months, maybe it was time to try to reverse hands and tie as I should. The fly below is my first tying right handed.

So what are your Idiosyncrasies?

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
I typically have a mug of green tea or a cold beer on hand, the clock radio on to NPR (which works out well since I typically tie in the evenings and that's when they have their jazz shows playing). Otherwise, since I've only been tying a few years, I don't have any set ways; I just do whatever is required of the pattern to get "something fishy".

I'll have to try one of those whip finishers you guys are talking about; I must admit, the one part of my tying that needs the practice is using a whip-finishing tool. I'll have a look at Hunter's and see what's cooking. I finish my flies with (gasp) a few overhand knots... and they look fine and are very durable. Still, I'd still like to learn to whip finish.

John - I had to do a double take on that fly. At first, I thought the tail was olive-dyed deer hair... that would be an interesting pattern. Oh, and frankly I don't think that the fish really care if the hackle is a bit too long; bass, for instance, aren't noted for being picky about such things. ;)

#29 ·
To all of you who worry about not being able to use a whip finish tool to tie a whip finish at the bend end of a large, or extra-long shank hook, Materelli has both a standard length and an extended reach whip finisher. I own both.

I also feel a need to say that before I began usijng the Materelli whip finisher about 22 years ago, I tied whip finishes with my hand. The Materelli is far faster, and I never need to worry about the thread getting caught on a piece of skin, a cut from a hook point, or a callous.

#31 ·
ooooh, I smell a challenge

flytyer said:
To all of you who worry about not being able to use a whip finish tool to tie a whip finish at the bend end of a large, or extra-long shank hook, Materelli has both a standard length and an extended reach whip finisher. I own both.

I also feel a need to say that before I began usijng the Materelli whip finisher about 22 years ago, I tied whip finishes with my hand. The Materelli is far faster, and I never need to worry about the thread getting caught on a piece of skin, a cut from a hook point, or a callous.
Flytyer,
To begin, I fully realize material and tools usage is highly subjective and so please don't take my questions/comments as a personal jab. They are not intended as such.

I'm not worried about using a whip finisher anywhere, but if you sell those on eBay you might be able to get those extra S&M bobbins you wanted.

I must admit the speed concept still baffles me; maybe I'm dillusional. I say we meet Saturday (11/22/03) at the Caddis for Kids event held at the Avid Angler, High Noon for a Whip-Finish shoot out (insert the famous whistling from the Clint Eastwood movie). If you really think you can pick up a tool, whip and clip faster than someone operating sans tool then I say "Bring It On". I'd say "mano-y-mano" but you will be cheating.

Anyway, I win, you donate 5 bucks to the charity. You win, you can have a Miracle Caddis Pack AND I'll take my first whip finisher lesson from you.

Your advantage: I will have been tying for 24 hours and will be seeing 4 or 5 of everything so even tying my shoes will be tough.
My advantage: I will have done at least 500 hand whip-finishes by then and should be warmed up...I hope!

Looking forward to the opportunity to at least put a face and a handshake to the username!

Take care,
Don Johnson
salmn8r@yahoo.com
caddisforkids@yahoo.com

#32 ·
Don,

I love that wicked sense of humor you have, it is very refreshing.

Be assured there was no offense taken.

I had originally planned on getting down to Avid Angler this Saturday since I haven't had the chance to see and visit with Alec for the last year. I also wanted to meet Stu and Scotty so I could put a face to the names, and it would be an honor to also meet you. Unfortunately, my wife informed me last week that we have another commitment for the Saturday that starts at 9:00 a,m, and ends at 4:00 p.m. so it looks like I'm not going to be able to get down (domestic tranquility is important).

Don't you just hate it when there is more than one thing going on that you want to do?

#33 ·
Whew!!!

Well, I'm there from Friday at noon until Saturday evening...maybe you can show Friday night for a bit if you get a chance. Scott will be there from about 6:30 or so.

To be honest, I'm kind of relieved. I had a vision of you swaggerin' in with a Magnum finisher on one hip, a Standard on the other and two full bandoliers of S&M bobbins draped across you like Pancho Villa. You could hear a sz 28 emerger fart as the dust settled then, in a wicked display of ambidextrous speed, you simultaneously double whip a Fore and Aft before I can say "Go!". Really embarassing after all the hype.

The other vision I had was you dislocating your pinkie finger trying to go too fast then impaling your forehead on the hook as you winced in agony...all while the ABC "Wide World of Sports" theme resonates "...and the Agony of Defeat..." in the background. As we call 911 to come cart you to the ER I spiked my Nor-Vise in the corner and high-fived my water boy, not that I would ever try to rub it in or anything.

Either way, it would have been ugly.

Take care!
Don Johnson

#36 ·
Don,

Don't know if I can make it Friday because I have to be in Stanwood at 7:00 p.m. Friday evening. If I can get down, it would be in the early afternooon.

Spiking a Nor-vise would probably entail a penalty being imposed by the referees at Avid Angler, possibly by Norm himself. And what's a hook imbedded in one's anatomy anyway? If a person has not impaled himself on a hook when tying, he is not worthy of the title fly tyer.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.