Fly Fishing Forum banner

Early Season Trout

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SDHflyfisher 
#1 ·
for those of you in the midwest you probably know that WI early trout season starts in march. i was just wondering were you will be going and probably be fishing with. I live in waterford WI in racine county the closest stream to me is the mukwonago river. it's probaly only five feet wide i will probably be using small nymphs and midges. PM you live in the area what are you gong to do? I am going to try to get my Dad to fly fish. like that's gonna happen. he is an old time pnfisherman. this fall he caught his first brookie this river.

#2 ·
SDH,

My Dad is an old salt surfcaster. Every year I take him up to the Ausable for Hendricksons. He is 6'5" and over 3 bills. You should see a man that size with a 7'6" 4 weight fishing a dry fly. It looks like King Kong with a pool cue.:whoa:
It is by far my favorite trip of the year with him and when he catches a fish you can tell he has such an appreciation for the beauty of it. His hand makes a 10" fish look 5".:hehe:

Anyways, aside from streamers (year round), that will be my first trout trip of the year. Drys, Hennys and the Ausable. I can't wait.

LR

#3 ·
Well, it really depends upon the weather. If it rains alot and the water is high, then i'll go steelheading on a tributary. If its dry, like it is now, then i'll head out to the trout streams.

The bobber fishermen dont come out until the regular trout season, so if you head to a popular river, you might meet alot of fellow fly fishermen.

If you're lookin for a fishing partner, let me know. It'd be fun to scout out some of the lesser known creeks in the state.

Neil

#4 ·
There are many other mid west states with open trout fishing through the winter, and all year for that matter. Some areas I cannot talk about online though. If it wasn't so cold I would be heading for one for sure soon. Its not Wisconsin either.

If you want to know about it

PM me.

PM Out

#7 ·
yeah i've learned not to talk about my favorite spots. but when people see the mukwonago river they'll probaly not even stop. the biggest fish we caught was a 6" brookie. The only bad thing is that i don't have a driver's license yet. i'm taking the class right know so i still have to bum a ride with my dad. we have a great time fishing. like i stated before he doesn't FF (yet). Some day this spring i'd ike to head out to the western part of the state to FF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.