Fly Fishing Forum banner

GL - Early Spring Surf Dilemma ?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  removed_by_request 
#1 ·
Dansteelieman,

Ever run into this early spring GL surf dilemma. I would have needed one heck of a rod and line to cast beyond this into the lake michigan surf.

PM Out

Attachments

See less See more
G
#4 ·
Juro it is;

Ice with sand on top of it.

All the ice in Lake Michigan comes down to the Southern end and piles up. Meanwhile the waves and wind blow sand on top of it.

I have some old photos from the 80's where ice was as tall as a 2 story house.

Nice thing about winters like that is that our warm water discharges (power plants mills etc) draw fish like a magnet. Bad part is it is very very ugly. But if one must capture a fish in sub zero weather it does the trick.

#5 ·
yes sir......

I've seen it happen before and this year I was suprised when I got to the shoreline to find that the creek was flowing but the mouth frozen with sand and ice on the banks and no way for fish to get in.

It won't be long Hal, it won't be long!

#6 ·
Yep, thats lake michigan ice, covered with sand from the winds blowing it off of the beach. Entire southern lake michigan shore line is covered with it right now from what I could see.

Its not N.B.

A surf casting rod would not have gotten me beyond the ice.

Found some open water for an hour of surf casting, had to try the Rio T-14 tips in still water. They sink pretty fast and cast well.

PM Out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.