Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rod Case Question

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Isgrigg 
#1 ·
I have a Plano Plastic rod case about 6 inches in diameter and I normally can fit 3 rods in the manufactures cases inside.

I am going on a train trip and want to take more rods. Do you think I could put the rods in the the Plano case just in the rod bags and they would be safe?

The rods are different lengths so I thought of putting a couple rubber bands around them to keep them from sliding ... maybe some bubble rap ... too much?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Stephen

#2 ·
we do that on most of our long trips. Large tubes with up to 10 rods in them. Never had them break in the tube, but i dont know how strong your tube is to protect them from outside abuse.
They should be fine in the rod socks. If you are worried about them you could stuff a few newspapers in there to keep them from sliding.

#3 ·
I am not familiar with train baggage handling systems but I assume (a) there is less impact than airline handling and (b) there is more vibration.

Therefore I would assume you are fine without the inside tubes, but i would find some of that thin white closed cell foam sheeting and cut it to match the length and width of the rod socks.

Unroll the rod socks with the rods in them, lay the white thin foam strip on it and roll it up as you normally would and tie it up.

Then one wrap around the whole set and stuff it inside the phantom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.