Fly Fishing Forum banner

Most effective striper crab fly

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  BigDave 
#1 ·
What's yours and why? Has it been thoroughly field tested?

thanks

#2 ·
My most successful one is an Orvis fly I bought because I really liked how it was tied. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they sell it any more though. Here's the basic recipe:
Barbell eyes tied at the hook eye
Size 2 or 4 regular shank saltwater hook
Tan thread
Tan body - Mesh tube tied tight front and rear to the shank to flare the mesh and create a circular crab body shape
Tan silicone legs tied through the mesh with knots to create joints and hold the legs in place
Claws - Barred black and white feathers about an inch long and a quarter inch wide

The fly is tied sideways to mimic how a crab travels sideways. The mesh body is great because it doesn't hold air like yarn bodies do so it sinks very easily and quickly.

EDIT: Just found it on their site. Here's a picture:

#3 ·
Captain Crabby, a Bob Verkovic (sp?) pattern offered by Umpqua. I've had my best success with it stripped as fast as possible. Between the weight and the almost total epoxy body it actually stays in the water stripped that fast. I've tried the same fly in Florida for permit fished the traditional way and not done well at all, but for stripers stripped like you were pursuing barracuda or roosterfish it's quite effective.

#4 ·
#5 ·
teflon_jones said:
My most successful one is an Orvis fly I bought because I really liked how it was tied. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they sell it any more though. Here's the basic recipe:
Barbell eyes tied at the hook eye
Size 2 or 4 regular shank saltwater hook
Tan thread
Tan body - Mesh tube tied tight front and rear to the shank to flare the mesh and create a circular crab body shape
Tan silicone legs tied through the mesh with knots to create joints and hold the legs in place
Claws - Barred black and white feathers about an inch long and a quarter inch wide

The fly is tied sideways to mimic how a crab travels sideways. The mesh body is great because it doesn't hold air like yarn bodies do so it sinks very easily and quickly.

EDIT: Just found it on their site. Here's a picture:
A few years back Orvis had a blowout special on these. They must not have been that popular.

#6 ·
The orvis tie is called a flexo crab.

I have always had more luck with flies that had breathable materials. The crabs were I fish don't move very fast.

That buffy is an interesting tie and similar to some of the flies I use. I don't doubt that it works, but it must cast like a wet sock with all of that deer hair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.