Fly Fishing Forum banner

my new toy

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Greg Pavlov 
#1 ·
:D :D :D

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I read some of the user's manual and played around with the camera a bit. Here are the pros and cons and some comments based on what I know so far:

Pros:
Small and light (as compared with my 35mm and my other digital camera).
Batteries are small and light and seem to last pretty well.
Has large monitor with power saving mode that dims the screen.
Menus are easy to read and controls are easy to use.
Has many different photo and focus modes.
Can view thumbnails and slideshows in playback mode.
Can divide and stitch videos.
Can add audio to images and videos.
Has tripod mount.
Users manual is relatively easy to understand :hihi: .

Cons:
Uses special rechargeable battery (1) that costs about $50 at this time.
No remote shutter release.
No viewfinder.
User's manual is large and sometimes confusing :confused: .
Doesn't float.

Comments:
I like it so far and am looking forward to using it for fishing photos. It's about half the size and weight of my other digital camera, and maybe 1/3 the size and weight of the 35mm, which is what I usually carried because it is water resistant and the digital is not. It will lighten the load and leave more space in my gear bag, and I'll definitely use it more often than the 35mm because I won't have to worry about using and developing the film.

One potential problem is the battery. Rechargeable batteries usually lose their charge over time, even when they are not used, and they are not charged when you buy them. My other cameras can use disposable batteries, which have a much longer shelf life and are readily available if you need more. I'm not sure if there is a disposable version of the battery for this camera. The rechargeable batteries take 100 min (or less) to recharge, and they seem to last pretty well. I'm not sure how fast they lose their charge when not in use, or how many cycles they can handle before they wear out.

Another potential problem is that it doesn't float. I still need a camera case for it and I'll try to find one that will float with the camera inside. I might also try to put a piece of foam on the camera strap.

I'll add more info as I learn more about the camera.

Q

#4 ·
Q -

Nice camera! I didn't know they were 6 megapixels, that's going to give you some super shots when you need the higher res.

BTW - take a peek on the web for aftermarket batteries, they are significantly less $$ than the OEM batteries. You should be able to get a replacement battery for under $20 I would think, I just did for my camera. No issues in fact it holds a charge longer than the original because it has a higher capacity.

If I am not mistaken the battery for that camers is the DL-I8... sent you a PM.

#5 ·
Q-
Congratulations on your new toy.

Juro is right about aftermarket batteries. I just purchased one using a shopping 'bot and the company ships first class mail for 99-cents.

My Optio WP is the 5 MP prior model and one battery lasted 108 shots with flash on every shot [just tested this Christmas].

The owners manual is almost the worst I have seen for any product anywhere. The lack of an optical viewfinder is a significant disadvantage, especially in low light situations.

IMHO these units are as good as one can find in a waterproof digital camera.

#6 ·
Thanks for the heads-up on the lower priced batteries. Much better to get 2 or 3 for the price of one, especially if they last even longer than the more expensive ones.

Bob, glad to hear from an independant source that the Optio WP is good camera. I really like my Pentax WR 35mm (except for the size/weight and waiting to get the film developed), so I hoped that they would do a good job with the waterproof digital.

Q

#7 · (Edited)
I've been using my Optio43 WR for a year now, and it isa great little camera. I always get complaints about my pictures...(ok, it is not about the camera, but who holds it... :smokin: :rolleyes: ), but fact is, that the colors, and the sharpness of the pics are really awesome. i made comparisons with other brand's cameras in a similar price range, and the pentax always popped out as a winner.
...and it fits perfectly in my west-pocket :)

#8 ·
Skeg,
Very good point abut fitting in a vest pocket. I keep mine in an outside pocket of my rain parka, but in the rain, and handling the camera in and out of the pocket, the lens stays wet.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a water absorbing envelope [maybe an eyeglass case] type holder that will "wipe" the lens.?

#10 ·
I bought one of these so I wouldn't have to worry about
the camera getting wet - I tend to drop things a lot - and
find myself *still* worried about getting it wet: there is
something in the back of my brain that refuses to accept
that "waterproof" is really "waterproof."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.