Fly Fishing Forum banner

Shrimp Swap- GeoffR's fly

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Geoff 
#1 ·
Here is Geoff's fly.. Please post recipe when responding to this post..Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's the recipe for my contribution. While I live several hundred miles from the ocean I firmly believe (read- hope :confused: ) that somewhere out there, there is a shrimp that looks like this.

:razz:

Epoxy shrimp (this is basically a Popovics ultra-shrimp with some modifications)

#4 Mustad saltwater hook
Beige calf tail
Light brown Super Hair
Medium pearl estaz
Copper crystal flash
25 lb. mono eyes
5 minute epoxy
black sharpie
beige thread

Wrap down the hook and tie in a small bit of beige dubbing to keep the eyes spread apart. Tie in the eyes followed by a wisp of calf-tail hair mixed with the crystal flash. Next tie in the estaz and wrap forward over the other components leaving room to tie in the super-hair. Tie in a good bunch of the super-hair using plenty of wraps to secure before tying off. Next use the sharpie to make some markings on the synthetic hair as appropriate for shrimp in your area. Cut to shape at tail but leave fibers at head long until after epoxy has begun to set up. Mix the epoxy and apply with plastic toothpick- working the epoxy down into the hair. Hold the hair at the head end together to form a tapered head as the epoxy begins to harden. Once the epoxy has set up fairly well but before it turns completely hard I use scissors to carefully cut the excess super-hair from the head- using care not to cut the flash and the calf tail. A simpler method of tying would be to leave out the calf tail and use the un-glued portion of the super hair, at the head, to create the antennae and mouthparts of the shrimp.

tight lines,

Geoff

#5 ·
Thanks Juro. I was worried about too much crayfish influence and not enough shrimp.

I suppose many of you have already learned this but I am beginning to see how these swaps can really help a person to improve their tying skills and to make better flies. I have already learned about tying shrimp just from looking at what the others have tied in the pictures posted. Can't wait to get mine in the mail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.