Fly Fishing Forum banner

keeling

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Sprocket 
#1 ·
I took a couple of silliskins out for a swim on Sat. and noticed that they were heeling over on thier sides every time I stripped them. Could this be a problem with keeling? Maybe a bigger hook to get more wt. on the bottom? It`s only noticable on the slabsided stuff. The body looks to be perfectly lined up. What to do, never had this problem before. Took them for a swim because I had a gnawing feeling they might float. glad to say they sink slowly and will have no problem getting down with even a int. line. Bay water is still fridgid but they`re having double digit evenings at the power plant on small jigs.
Slinger

#2 ·
Steve

If most of the material lies below the hookshank then it may be a slight alignment problem - the silli skin is relatively firm and could be acting like a vane rather than a keel. Getting some weight under the hook shank should do the trick.

I ran into a keeling problem last season when using Varivas hooks for the first time. I didn't realise how heavy they were relative to the usual Gamies etc. and the dumbell eyes I used were'nt heavy enough to hold the fly inverted on the retrieve.

#3 ·
I'm assuming you did a Flatside 3:
becareful how much you trim off the bottom. I noticed the RMurphy leaves more than I expected to, specifically to act as a keel thus keeping the fly tracking properly.

I know some of my earlier flies will have to be re-done as a result of my eager scissor fingers...o.k., one more snip and it's perfect, no - one more...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.