Fly Fishing Forum banner

Redington reel for spey rod

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  sinktip 
#1 ·
Would a Redington AS 13/14 reel match well with a 14ft 9/10 spey rod?The rod has a euro action and although rated as a 9/10 it may be more of a 10/11.I believe the reel weighs 10.9 oz.Just wondered if it would balance well or be a little on the large size?

#2 ·
Reel Size

Tonyd, I'm using a Marquis #2 Salmon on my 14ft 9/10 St. Croix. It measures 4 1/4". I've never weighed it but it seems to balance quite nicely.

#4 ·
Tony,

My buddy uses the big Redington, it is a good reel at a great price and is definitely not too big ( I'm not sure that would be possible!). My only recommendation would be to get the black finish - NOT THE GOLD! At times, though he may be hundreds of yards away an errant ray of sunlight reflects off his hunk of gold and damn near blinds me. I'm not sure but I think it is responsible for at least two car accidents on the Trans Canada Highway alongside the Graveyard pool on the Thompson!

#5 ·
The 13/14 Redington will balance nicely. And as Tyler said, don't worry about it being too big. I have a buddy who fishes a Black 13/14 on both his 9150-4 Sage and his 14' #9 St. Croix. They are good reels and the price is hard to beat. The one disadvantage is they are on the silent side for those of us that like to hear our fish run.

Kush,

That is why I bought a 11/12 in Gold for my 8150. To my way of thinking, glare induced car accidents means less fishing competition on those prime summer runs. Are you telling me this is a bad thing?

ST: :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.