Fly Fishing Forum banner

hopelessly stuck fly rod

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
I figured this subject has been addressed before but couldn't find it in my search. My son has an LL Bean fly rod that is stuck together. The tip was replaced recently by LL Bean and my guess is that they did not make a good match. We've tried the "behind the knees pull, the "two-person pull", the heat the joint with a hair dryer technique....all to no avail. Anyone have a favorite remedy short of sending it back to LL Bean?

Dan

#6 ·
Worked for me:

Hang the reel and grip over the inside of your truck's tailgate with the reel about 4 - 6 inches from the gate. Hold the rod near the union point and pull sharply. The reel hits the tailgate and the rod pops appart. Probably not the best solution but like I said, it worked for me. Your mileage may varry.

#7 ·
Eddie's on the mark with the "ice man commeth."

Have a sage spey that likes to do this allllll the time. Orig. solution came from the old spey board (I held a "contest" :hehe: )

Take a sheet of alum. foil and make an 'ice dam' around the stuck rod sections; fill with ice cubes, and wrap the foil/ice around the entire connection.

Give it about 5 minutes and they'll pop a part a pretty as you please.
Fae

#8 ·
How do you do that when you are out on the river in the hot summer back in a national forest ?

Keep your ferrules waxed and you should not have this problem.

I would dip it in our ice cold river water as previously noted.

Otherwise, break it throw it away and just buy another one from Freds large inventory. :devil:

Sorry, bad mood today at work, been looking at new complex laws all week to meet Washington trade association response deadlines to various states.

Later

Pm

#9 ·
Oh Hal, that hurt! :>)

A "real" summer run fisher-person always has an evening supply of a couple of airline bottles (usually re-filled:D ) with a good single malt and an insulated travel cup full of ice cubes. Combo allows to fish for a couple of hours ... and when you're tired of getting skunked .... you crack open one, maaaaby two, of the medical vials.

So the quandry is ice for the rod, ice for the cup??? What's a guy gonna do?:devil:

Life is full of hard choices.
fae

#12 ·
...on duty (sorta')...

John...
'Waiting for the SEALs and EOD boyz to return from the drop zone for another HALO jump in Hawaii...a former life!
The Base Commander told me that I couldn't do that on his ramp so I packed up and relocated on the wing of my sovereign territory all-metal-turbo-prop C-130 (just to push the annoy button)...I was a baad boy!
:tsk_tsk:

#13 ·
Re: ...on duty (sorta')...

Penguin said:
John...
'Waiting for the SEALs and EOD boyz to return from the drop zone for another HALO jump in Hawaii...a former life!
The Base Commander told me that I couldn't do that on his ramp so I packed up and relocated on the wing of my sovereign territory all-metal-turbo-prop C-130 (just to push the annoy button)...I was a baad boy!
:tsk_tsk:
Pete - that pic really is a laugh; kinda reminds me of someone I know and a past life:eyecrazy: (top-secret identity) - My current problem is eyesight - I want to make that pic into a screensaver but it's not big enough to see clearly - HHHEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP!!

Where's the pic of you perched atop your sovereign territory??? :smokin:

p.s. - Base CO's aren't all bad, just to let you know - remind me to regale you:hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.