Fly Fishing Forum banner

Deer Hair popper swap anyone? Bueller? Ferris Bueller?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm a relative 'newb' to the forum as far as posting goes, however i've noticed these things called fly swaps and was wondering if anybody would be in on a deerhair bug swap. I'll post some shots of what I will be posting later this week(saturday), but I' thinking dahlberg's or whitlock 'style' bass/pike poppers 1/0 ++.

I will be contributing a variation of a dahlberg with more of a slider body that i find to be killer on largemouth.

I will maestro as needed. I am thinking the end of may as deadline for flies perhaps?

Who is in?

#2 ·
Hm, well I bought one of those fifty-dollar fly tying kits last weekend and... I'm already tying crayfish, bass bugs, etc. I've probably spent an hour or and hour and a half each day since buying it, just listening to music, very relaxing.

Was much more relaxing after I'd learned all that Lefty Kreh had to teach me on the cheap video that came with the kit.

But hey, I'd be in, if there was enough interest, and people were not afraid to receive something a bit "newbish".

I could work on it, though. Actually, just today I went downtown and bought some tigerstrip hackle(for making a ton of crayfish, my favorite terrestrial imitation if you will), some marabou(mostly for the crayfish), but a whole foot long slab of deer hair(for making bass bugs) which I could use here.

Sounds like a good deal, like I said if there's interest and nobody cares about my being in it, I might partake.

#3 ·
Gentlemen-

You will probably get much more interest in a fly swap during the colder off-season months. From now until late fall, most of us are too busy fishing to participate in swaps. And what we are tying is most likely for personal use to replenish certain hot flies lost during fishing.

If you check the archives, you'll notice that the swaps really are more of a winter thing. I'm not discouraging you from trying, but don't be disappointed if participation is low or nil right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.