Fly Fishing Forum banner

Great find: footwear for the water-oriented

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Just bought a new pair of neoprene boots for the sand dunes of Cape Cod's shoreline this season. $30 at Eastern Mountain Sports, made by Northwest River Supplies.

They have copious tread soles and thin 2mm neoprene uppers with the gussetted zipper and a velcro keeper strap.

BTW - Saturday the 28th is CLUB day at EMS, 20% off anything in the store for members of a club. Bring the Forum hat and buy a kayak at nearly $100 off! I am going to buy a GPS unit if I am not down the cape chasing stripers.

#5 ·
The guy at EMS was quite knowledgable on kayaks too. He mentioned that most people go with a hull design like the pungo for fishing applications but the risk of the large cockpit and hull design are swamping far from shore. It's not a design that allows re-entry like the sea kayaks do. The large opening is handy for fishermen getting in and out, but also allows water in.

He recommends buying additional inflatable bladders for fishermen who buy the pungo to add safety in the event of a swamping away from shore. This will reduce the water and raise the likelihood of being able to right the yak using an oar and some technique. Overall the keel and hull design is a good fit for fishing applications despite the added drag in the water over the trek style sea kayaks. The stability is worth the lessened speed though by far.

If the salesperson gives you any grief, have them call me on my cell phone to verify membership. I will answer my cell phone all day "Flyfishing Forum Member Verification" ;D

#6 ·
Had to go down the Cape so I didn't get to EMS. I did manage to wet a line Sat. am at Highbank for about an hour - pretty quite. Tried down the lane from the house in the afternoon (Channel between Kelly's bay and Follins pond, good holdover spot) - nada. Sunday am, beginning of the outgoing down the end of the river (across from Stage Island). Nothing and cold. These were brief sorties, didn't really work at it, but things sure looked sterile. Wasn't it a year ago next weekend that you had the spring clave and all that action?

Regards,
Fred A.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.