Fly Fishing Forum banner

Time for a new Saltwater Intermediate line - recommendations?

11K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Tajue17 
#1 ·
It has been awhile since I've purchased a saltwater intermediate line. I do 95% of my saltwater fishing in the northeast for stripers/blues/Albies. Any recommendations out there.

Also looking for an integrated fast sinking line...

thanks much.

Bruce

#2 ·
I haven't shopped in a while either but currently have three I fish a lot - SA striper (the new design), the Rio outbound clear head / yellow running line and the old Cortland 444 clear which I bought as a spare before they discontinued and on my last one, each lasting 3-5 seasons before losing their clarity to abrasion and probably ultraviolet light.

The outbound has a 38 ft head that is all business and my first choice on the two-hander too. The SA is not clear but man does Bruce Richards design a nice taper - this line really goes especially on rods with a little sweetness in the taper (i.e. not too stiff).

I have not experienced that much more disapproval from mid-day flats fish while using a colored line or sinking head for that matter, but the percentage that do get turned off by the line is worth converting to me so I mostly use the clear 444 on the rod thru the summer flats days.

As the experienced guys here on the forum will attest, sometimes a black sinking line works best even in a mid-day flat as long as you are not clotheslining them.

#5 ·
I like the Rio intermediate outbound short. I do not have an exceptionally long cast, so it does help me gain more distance. It seems to suit my casting style. Rio improved the OB short's running line last year. The tangling was a pain in the butt, but they seemed to have straightened that out.

Steve

#6 ·
Haven't bought one in awhile but I have fished the 444SL's Wulff TT and currently I have a cortland tunney line rigged up that basser gave me. I like all of these but the wulff I liked best and I'll probably spring for another at some point. The wulff I had developed cracks thruout its length but I believe this was self inflicted by storing the rigged up rod in my truck for a season. Resulting thermal cycles not only ruined the line but also broke down the epoxy that glued the reel handle/seat of the rigged rod.

Hi-density integrated head: I like the 300 grain cortlend 555 quick descent for my ten wieght.

I'm not crazy about cold water lines as they seem to get gummy when it's a little warm.

Note that the cortland line are probably called something else now.

#7 ·
Just speaking for myself, I know i'll get a lot of disagreement here but my favorite is a Wulff Bermuda Triangle with a 10' intermediate tip, it takes the business end of the line just as far down as a full intermediate and can be mended and controlled in a current way better than a full length sinker, it's a "tropical" line, meaning it's meant for use above 60 degrees,but I've found it handles well in any temp experienced striper fishing and it is a lot stiffer than the cold water lines which makes it shoot better and tangle less. My .02.
Jon

#8 ·
Intermediate Line

My vote is for the Air-flo Polyfuse old water Clear Blue, I have been using this line for the last 7 or 8 years and have had no issues, I get 4 to 5 years from a line and fish 4 to 5 times a week. The line loads and casts like a dream.

I also have used the line in Florida and other warm/Tropical environments with no issues at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.