Fly Fishing Forum banner

Recommendations for Unmentionables

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 ·
I'd like to buy a couple of light/medium salt spinning setups to have at the place in Dennis (for company of course). Don't want to spend an awful lot of money but fire away with info. I'm thinking something to sling sluggoes, etc. and catch schoolies.

Thanks,
Fred A

Juro, meant to put this in the gear forum - anyway to move it?

#3 ·
I second the ugly sticks 7' med action. When I take my daughter fishing this is what she uses. It's just got a cheap Shimmano reel which I don't expect to last very long but it does the trick. I've got her using the 6wt for freshwater and snapper blues so that reel only needs to last a couple more years before she can handle the 8/9wt. If you want to move up a notch on reels the Penn SS series will take a beating. I think the 5500ss is a match.

#4 ·
Fred...Before you take the plung into the dark world of "unmentioables" remember...Don't look directly into the salesperson's eyes or, before you know it, you'll have 2 Sage travel rods and matching VanStalls and a new mortgage on your digs! If you aren't in a big hurry, I'll bet I have at least one rod/reel that's just gathering dust... You can have it if you offer to feed me one descent meal next season when I outa' work and on the street!

#6 ·
I find that the patagonia quick-dry briefs are the best for wet-wading during the summer months, but under waders I prefer a mix of polypropylene and... oh you mean THOSE unmentionables! }>

When I worked at BNTC they carried a daiwa rod that was not only affordable but light, powerful and if I were a spinning rod type of striper guy I'd consider them. Not sure of the model number but the blanks were black and the trim blue and silver. I was hired for a 3-generation charter (grandfather, son and grandson) a couple of summers ago and bought one when told grandpa couldn't flyfish. At the end of the day they bought the rod from me. I owned it for a day! The point is, he really loved the rod. It's not one of those old school telephone pole rods but light and powerful and it took blues up to 15 pounds (on the scale and filleted). The keeper bass were on the flyrod though :)

Since you are just looking for beater rods for people who can't flycast I assume you aren't looking to spend a lot of cash. Have you tried Bean's outlets or Spags?

#7 ·
I'd recommend the 7' Ugly-Stick "Lite"- mine's rated for 8-17lb. line. It's a little faster than the regular ugly sticks, but with the same durability and minimal expense. Got mine at MVP- paired it with a Pen 4500, some 30lb. braid, and it's great from schoolies to moderately big fish.

#10 ·
Juro,
That was actually me. I saw Andy Mill on Sportsman's Journal on OLN the other day. He sight fished Monomoy and then went out in old timers boat to fish a rip (looked very familiar ;-) ). After hooking a few on the fly, the captain gave him a feather jig attached to the line and he started jigging. Man, that looked like fun. Talk about feeling the take!

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.