Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter Predictions

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  OC 
#1 ·
Anybody heard what we can expect for a winter steelhead run up and down the coast? The gangbuster runs of summer fish into the Columbia and tribs may indicate something.

Hopefully the winter steelhead runs will correlate with the explosion of silvers (Coho) we've seen this fall, and not with the dismal run of fall Chinook.

Cheers,

Eric

#3 ·
Rain....

I predict that it will rain quite often this winter here on the OP causing numerous floods and creating extensive river alterations that will result in even more riparian zone damage.
As to numbers of fish returning I hope they are on the rebound but I can not do more than hope. The connection between the drylands of the Coloumbia, Snake and the often flooded by (water) and gravel, rivers of the Coastal areas is only when the smolts hit the Pacific
The wild counts in the Columbia and Snake could make a good case for cutting back on plants there!

#6 ·
Fred, nice to see you posting again. Sorry to hear that fishing was not so good down your way in the southern part of the state. Things were good up this way and continue to be so. Last time I ran into you was years ago up on the Sky after a clave I think. Me and Duggan woke you up at 5 am and had a drink or two with you.

#7 ·
Eric,

From a historical perspective the numbers sucked. Yes, by resent standards for hatchery fish they strong. My issue is every "big" run these day is compared to numbers since the dams. I understand in the L&C days there were now real methods for accurate counts but Dams Suck.

#8 ·
Fishing swell here. Yesterday was fun with 3 fish between two of us in two hours. One was a hatchery fish, bright and strong,34 inches and 14 pounds. Got a kick out of a little 4 or 5 pound wild hen that ran up two sets of pretty big rapids before deciding to go back down river. River is low and somewhat clear fish are all in pocket water with lots of fast water moving over them. This smaller river fishing is really a lot of fun, makes me feel like a kid again jumping from rock to rock even falling in on occasion. The checker told me the other day about ten fish a morning is average in his count and they are split 50/50 stream born and hatchery. Biggest so far was a 40 incher checked in. Not a lot of people fishing and I don't expect to see many except maybe weekends, had river to myself from noon to 1300 today but no fish. Wonder how the Sandy is fishing????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.