Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing report - Southeastern MA LMB

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 · (Edited)
Just a quick report on last night's fishing excursion. I went over to Lake Merrimichi in N. Attleboro/Plainville for a couple of hours. The lake is getting increasingly weedy every day, so poppers and floating divers are the order of the day. I got there at about 6:30 and paddled my float tube through the milfoil to where there were a few less weeds (if you haven't paddled a float tube through weeds, don't try it :) ). I had no luck for the first half hour or so, then nailed three small LMB in 3 casts on my Teflon's Diver. You can find tying instructions here: http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=20999 . Most of the strikes came on the first little bit of retrieve after letting the fly sit for a few seconds after hitting the water. I lost a couple of fish too, then the action dried up for the next half hour. I decided to switch to a popper like this http://images.orvis.com/orvis_assets/prodimg/12A74000.jpg . I'm glad I did because I got 3 fish in my first 3 casts! They were all small LMB and I was just in a random spot near the middle of the lake with no pads around, just milfoil. I missed several fish when trying to set the hook, but I think I landed about 4 or 5 more after the first 3. It got totally dark as I paddled to shore, but I kept blind casting anyway. I got one more LMB just as the fly hit the water, and one big panfish that had the hook through its nose.

All in all, a pretty good night on the water! Total fish count was about a dozen.

See less See more
#2 ·
teflon_jones said:
. . . The lake is getting increasingly weedy every day, so poppers and floating divers are the order of the day. I got there at about 6:30 and paddled my float tube through the milfoil to where there were a few less weeds (if you haven't paddled a float tube through weeds, don't try it :) ). . . .
Milfoil can be nasty. When I row through the thick stuff it will bog down the oars so that I can't even move them. Is your float tube the kind that you propel with your legs? I can't even imagine trying to kick through that stuff!

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.