Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing report: LMB on the fly

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Wee Hooker 
#1 · (Edited)
Another fishing report straight from my float tube on Lake Merrimichi in Plainville/North Attleboro:
Got on the water last night at about 6 and had a big green and white popper on, still there from the last trip. It was still a bit sunny so I paddled over to some water that was in the shade already. Got there about 6:30 (long paddle in the tube!). I thought the lake was weedy last week, but it gets worse every day! Divers would have been a mess since the weeds are so close to the surface in most places. I had just about given up on the shady spot when a bass nailed the fly. Landed a 13" fish a minute later. A few more casts netted nothing, and the sun was going behind the trees so I headed out to the main lake. As it got darker, the fish started biting at about 7:15 or 7:30. I landed 4 more LMB, all in the 13" range. I lost one that was a bit bigger. All of them were hitting after about 4 or 5 loud pops of the fly.

Only 1/2 the fish total of last time, but still not a bad night.

#2 ·
HTML:
Only 1/2 the fish total of last time, but still not a bad night.
Pretty hard to have a "bad night" when spending a summers eve bobbing around favorite bass water on with a fly rod IMHO. 4 decient bass on top is just icing on the cake. Hopeing to toss a few myself this evening.

p.s . it continues to amaze me on how many fisherman overlook the tube as a portable fishing platform. if they only knew how deadly ( and intimate) it was!

#3 ·
Wee Hooker said:
Pretty hard to have a "bad night" when spending a summers eve bobbing around favorite bass water on with a fly rod IMHO. 4 decient bass on top is just icing on the cake. Hopeing to toss a few myself this evening.

p.s . it continues to amaze me on how many fisherman overlook the tube as a portable fishing platform. if they only knew how deadly ( and intimate) it was!
Absolutely! I don't think I'm ever more relaxed than when I'm in the tube. I also have better luck from the tube than from any other fishing platform. You don't disturb the fish, that's for sure. I've had many strikes within a rod length of the tube, and have had big fish swim by me so close I could reach out and touch them. Minnows and other small fish often use me for shelter too. The low silhouette to the water, combined with natural colors, makes it very friendly to the fish. I wear dark green/brown boots, black flippers, olive waders, an olive fishing vest, a tan or natural colored shirt of some sort, and a dirty old hat to make myself blend into the surroundings as much as possible.

#4 ·
I had a close encounter with a snapping turtle whose head was the size of a regulation football as a kid in a tire tube. Never really felt quite as secure after that with my legs in warmwater ponds. :Eyecrazy:

Became a canoe guy after that incident. :biggrin:

#5 · (Edited)
juro said:
I had a close encounter with a snapping turtle whose head was the size of a regulation football as a kid in a tire tube. Never really felt quite as secure after that with my legs in warmwater ponds. :Eyecrazy:

Became a canoe guy after that incident. :biggrin:
I kicked one when tubing earlier this spring in shallow water. It was none too happy, but at least it didn't bite me (I don't think so anyway, maybe it chomped my flipper). It was only about the size of a large pizza... :whoa:

I think about it from time to time when I'm in the water and just hope I go home with all my toes that day...

#6 ·
It's been my experience that snappers will shy away from you if you let them. As with many wild critters The danger really comes if you surprise one by stepping on/ kick it ( or keep a stringer of fish tied to you :roll: ) Now snakes are another story. Yes I know we don't have poisionous snakes up here but ANY snake that trys to share my tube is going to stop my heart faster than a Black Mamba bite! :whoa: Had this happen only once. It was mateing season in a local pond noted for it's high population of black racers. Had a 4'er come accross 30' of water to chase me off. He got to within a rods length before I changed his mind. It's amazing on how much a tube will move from the recoil of a couple of 38 shot loads :lildevl: Snakey places are "canoe only" ever since.

p.s. As an interresting Side story, I used to trap snappers as a teenager. Never found a critter that was harder to kill and dress than a snapper. They are just plain prehistoric. Finally gave up as I could never come up with a remotely paletable recipe. Nasty critters!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.