Fly Fishing Forum banner

'Phly Welding... 'thread, gogglez n' gloves optional...

6K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Penguin 
#1 ·
UV Phree Phlex Phlyz :eek: :confused:

See less See more
#3 ·
Can't paint...

but I'm makin' progress playin' the Vise...
a camera makes it ever so much more visual...
the "goal"... that the Striped Phocus Group appreciates and approves...

#6 ·
'Phly Welding 101...

Why bother?
Because... it's PHUN and I like the results!
I was at my vise chasing some phuzzie notions and had some uncooperative cape quills roll when thread tension was applied...
A natural structural abnormality was raining on my parade...
I've been "welding" with acrylics for quite a while and have experimented with what's currently available...
My preference... Tuffleye Finish and FLEX with the small curved applicator nozzle... it does NOT rely on UV and the tip allows for precise targeting...
FYI...
'Dress the hook shaft with a thread foundation and secure it with a touch of head cement to mechanically adhere it to the shaft...
'overlay with a tight wrap of BodyBraid [I like the way that it looks] for a solid foundation...

Here's my SimpleWhite... 'start to phinish...
'Assembled by a "trained professional" on a "closed course"... 'personal performance and mileage may vary...

#7 ·
Nice... thanks for the lesson. (You make it look very simple, but I know that kind of perfection doesn't come easily! I love the way the fibers on the top of the hackles are interlaced.)

Now, all I have to do is shoot me a couple of those Jungle Cocks during bird season this fall. Will I have the best odds in the duck marsh or the grouse coverts? :tongue:

Good fishing,
desmobob

#8 ·
Thanks, I''ll have to try playing around with some of that sticky stuff. BTW, what are those highly variegated long barbed feathers you're using on top of some of the flies?
Jon

#9 ·
Phlex Phlyz...

'variations on a theme...
I really like the texture and colours of some of the Whiting Capes...
The pheatherz are not as long as some of the saddles out there and the pronounced quills can be intimidating...
Whiting CDL Light Ginger and Bronze are some of my favourites... and the Whiting American Rooster Cape Cree worksforme too...
'Convincing them to behave led me to this particular "discovery channel"...
FYI...
Here's another sequence with some Cape pheatherz horizontally positioned over the top...
'my phlat wing mimic adaptation...

#10 ·
'and... when the Striped Phocus Group gets a hankerin' for decapodz...

'das Schrimp Insinuendo...
kind'a buggy... swimmin' in no-manz-land... 'one last great actofdefiance sayin' "EAT ME!"...

'less philling!... 'tastes great!...

#11 ·
Pete - I am in awe. I appreciate your willingness to share your ideas and techniques with us pikers. ( I am counting myself as the chief piker) It is obvious that this is an art form that not everyone can acheive. After 3 years on the vice, and bungling many recipes, I can appreciate your skill.

Thanks,

Steve

#13 ·
Pete,
Your flies are fine works of art to say the least, not to mention the unique construction technique. Thanks much for sharing the the tutorial. (As a curiosity, what vise are you using; I don't recognize it?)
Keep on tying :smile: ,
Jim D.

#14 ·
Thanks for the kind wordz of encouragement...

das J-Vise...

NO REGRETS!!!

Once upon a time, a Prince asked a
beautiful Princess... "Will you marry me?"

The Princess said "NO!"

And the Prince lived happily ever
after and rode motorcycles and
went fishing and hunting and
played golf and dated women half
his age and drank beer and scotch
and had tons of money in the bank
and left the toilet seat up and farted
whenever he wanted.

The End.

#18 ·
Penguinian Inuenfluence

Still using thread, but sticking pheathers and phiber to built up body with Loon Hard Head, sparser, slimmer, still tasty, durability still to be determined.
Jon

Attachments

#19 ·
Great job Pete! The glueing is what I did years ago with the Featherbrain bait fish pattern. I also used only the whiting capes because of their shape and durability. THe foundation was a corseair spreader and I would attach several feathers in a shingle style. Then glue them which did away with the beak tie and avoided the splaying out. Plus it took on a more "fish" shape especially looking at top and bottom. I would finish it with a light coat of epoxy to secure the feathers to the foundation. The techniques. And flies are also on this forum. I love the single feather idea and the size of these in the pics

#24 ·
'Leave well enough alone... or NOT...

'started off with some Farrar Blend and was pretty much done... :confused:
but I left it in the vise and began wandering in another direction... :eek:

I welded on some interesting hackles to change the look and direction...
'still sparse, a fusion of synthetic and natural... zapped together with the UV Phree Blue Light... :whoa:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.