Fly Fishing Forum banner

Best Fly Fishing State?

5K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  Todd Ripley 
#1 ·
If you guys had to pick one state that ranks the highest in your eyes for the most productive fly fishing state what would it be? I haven't fly fished many states, but it would have to be a state where no matter what time of the year it is there is always something to fly fish for.

My vote is for my home state OHIO! :chuckle:

#4 ·
LOL Moonlight

I'd second WA and N. WA (aka BC). LOL. But, born and raised here. Fished all over the world, but prefer my homewaters. For me, it's the Olympic Peninsula. Spent many a days in early fall, and have caught big kings, steelhead, chums, and silvers all on the same day. Then, add cutts, dollies, and if you prefer gear Sturgeon. Then, all the saltwater species too (bottom fish, etc). Everything, including a blue ribbon trout stream. Plus, you have the beautiful Olympic Mtns and Cascade Mtns to view while we're fishing.

#6 ·
Experience dictates.....

that I respond in the following way.....

Having travelled to a few places, but NOT extensively, and having spent some time in the Military and travelling as a businessman, both here and in other countries (including the far east), YOU CAN FIND GOOD FISHING ANYWHERE!

But that requires some ground rules:

1. You have to be a determined fisherman;
2. You can't be a "species snob";
3. You have to be able to communicate to locals;
4. You have to "get along with common people"
5. You have to be adventurous and be willing to explore;
6. You need time to explore.

In addition, never argue about religion, politics and baseball - that's a good way to get yourself killed (or maimed)!

But if you are a DETERMINED fisherman, there are few places in this world (possible exceptions - the Sahara and the South Pole) that don't normally have good fishing. You may have to lower your "species sights", but hey - do you want to fish, or cut bait???

BobK

#14 ·
I have to say Montana. see water. fish water.. catch big trout.. it's really that easy. even though there are no longer any steelhead there (the only reason i don't live there) i have to say that montana has the best fly fishing I have experienced anywhere in the world.. well since i have only fished oregon Washington Idaho Montana and BC maybe i am not the best judge

#15 ·
As someone else has stated: The best fishing can be found where you live. I grew up and lived in PA for 25 years and had very good fishing for trout, smallmouth bass, large mouth bass, pickerel, sunfish, blue gill, and crappie, and fished New York's Catskills many times before leaving PA.

I then went to fly fisherman's purgutory, South Dakota, and found excellent large mouth bass, crappie, walleye (a ball on a fly rod), northern pike, and very good trout fishing in the Black Hills. Couldn't stand more than one year in SD though.

Montana was my next stop for 12 years. I loved it. Great trout fishing (unfortunately, it spoils you and make regular good trout fishing seem to be poor fishing), excellent northern pike fishing (with pike up to 40 pounds on the fly), really good smallmouth fishing (that very few Montanana take advantage of) in eastern Montana (the lower Big Horn is tremendous smallmouth fishing), very good largemouth fishing, good whitefish (yep, they are a ball to catch in February and early March, especially when they run to 5 pounds or so), and the ubiquiitous squawfish in the middle and lower Clark Fork.

Then on the my current home state of Washington where there is steelhead, coho, kings, chum (love to catch the large (15 to 15 pound), fresh-run chum on the Skagit in November, pinks in the odd years, trout (unfortunately most of the good trout fishing within 5 hours of me is in lakes), smallmouth bass, and some very fine largemouth bass fishing within 15 miles of home (with virtually no fishing pressure).

Ah BC........ Steelhead, salmon, and some tremendous trout fishing in the rivers in southeastern portion of the province, not to mention the Kamloops lakes.

Which is best? It depends on the time of the year and the species you are chasing.

#17 ·
Hmm..

Let's see...
I know a state with gorgeous mountains and mile after mile of gorgeous little trout streams and some larger water. This state also has the third largest largemouth bass state record. Oh yeah how about an ocean shoreline with NO (let me repeat NO) hardened structures and very few high rise hotels along it. This ocean shoreline has a wonderful mix of warmwater and coldwater fish species that mix in the same water at different times of the year. Where is this wonderful place, North Carolina of course.

#18 ·
Willmullis,

Yes, I feel very fortunate and blessed to have been able to live in these various states and enjoy the fishing they each have. I also know that I am fortunate living only an hour from the BC border so that I can fish in this marvelous province as well.

There is nothing like getting out into God's creation and enjoying the beauty and creatures therein.

#19 · (Edited)
The state of euphoria

juro said:
The state of euphoria.
Have to agree with Juro on this one. Also Lee Wulff's famous quote "the best time to go fishing is now." There are no guarantees that any of us will see tomorrow's sunrise. Fishing, especially fly fishing, should be in every Doctor's list of prescriptions for whatever ails you. Sure beats the hell out of taking pills. Life is like a box of chocolates,-------------------<")\\\>< Carpe diem.

JD

#23 ·
i might be so persuaded to share my information, and made even a few strategies, but we must first agree on some type of compromise. i am more than happy to share the wealth, so to speak, as long as that wealth gets passed back around! what kinda incentive ya got to persuade me to spill my guts!!??:chuckle:

#24 ·
i was only teasing willmulllis. e-mail me and let me know what you are interested in catching and i can hook you up (free of charge). you are within about 1 1/2 hrs. drive from three trophy smallmouth streams , just north of Lexington. There is also was great musky action up along the northern reaches of the Tygart river in Greenup County, particularly near Red Hot on old route 2 and Fire Brick around the old Jesse Stuart homeplace. I tell you a little more, but not here :tsk_tsk: drop me a line !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.