Fly Fishing Forum banner

Mummichug Pattern?

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Eroach 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good Mummichug (Killifish) pattern? I see these guys all the time in the estuaries, some of the only bait I usually can see.

#3 ·
Hi All,

We caught some fish the last few days on that pattern. I use it on the flats sometimes when I want to show them something different. Not many anglers throwing it. It works great! Its actually a bone fish fly. They sell it at "Fishing the Cape" Deer hair head, wool body ( all brown) and stripes. Dont tell anyone I posted this or some of my guide buddies will be mighty pissed at me!

Best,

Randy

#7 ·
Another winner 'chog pattern I've seen is with layered polarfibre, crystal flash (rootbeer) blended in, and either a spun deerhead, woolhead, or stout epoxy head. Small eyes, dull brown with light underside and speckled appearance.

My theory is that the stout head pushes a lot of water and gets a good reaction. Bass enjoy the chubby little morsels along the shoreline often so are prone to go for them too.

#11 ·
Nathan Smith (05-30-2001 02:09 p.m.):
Todd use a boski slider for a mumachug. It is a florida bonefish pattern. Go to http://www.flyshop.com/Bench/ and look up bonefish slider
Nate -

Got a zero for search results with "boski" and Ross Purnell's (the editor) 'sliders' for "slider".

That and the big nasty hitting close to home for my bunny rat pattern and I had a less than satisfying user experience ;-)

Can you provide a link to the pattern itself? thanks!

#14 ·
Mattb (05-30-2001 04:35 p.m.):
Juro, I think Nate just forgot an r in Borski- A google search for "Borski Slider" turned up a whole bunch of hits, here's the first- http://www.theflybench.com/saltwater/fly0176.htm

-Matt

Thanks Nate, Matt -

I was referring to the search results from the VFS archive. I also found tons of results by searching for "borski" on LYCOS ;D

Nate - appreciate the original reply, is there a Xmas Island story behind that quick reply on the slider?

#16 ·
Years ago when I was fishing for searuns browns on the Coonamessit river in Falmouth . Not sure of that spelling I used Tom Pero's Mummichug Pattern which was a basic Muddler Minnow in a tanish yellow color. The secret was in the dyed deer hair which I had to do to match the coloer worked well. If I can dig up the pattern I will post it. I caught my first flyrod striper under Childs River bridge with that pattern.
FishHawk

#17 ·
FishHawk,

Thanks for the recommendation.

Bill Hubbard was nice enough to e-mail me the pattern i believe you are referring me to. This is the pattern recepie the way he ties it:

Hook: to match size of minnows; plated or stainless.
Tail: 1/2" Red/Brown Marabou tips.
Body: Yellow yarn
Rib: four turns flat silver mylar tinsel
Wing: Red/Brown Marabou tips.
Collar/Head: Spun Red/Brown deer hair as in any muddler head.

"Interestingly, I've tied this fly in all white with very light grey or brown deer hair and had good luck along the rocky shorelines. Because the fly is very boyant, I usually fish it with a sink-tip or 225 gr.head." (Bill H.)

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.