Fly Fishing Forum banner

new reels

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
There will be new reels from Redington, Tibor, Abel with Ross, Galvin and Sage making some changes.
The Tibor reel is called the Backcountry. It is a larger reel in the Tibor lite series. It will come in two widths. It is very light and I think it would be good for steelhead, heavy freshwater and some light saltwater use. Line sizes covered will be 6-8 weight. They also introduced a new reel called the Pacific. This is a monster. Over 5" in diameter, this reel has a 500yd capacity and the biggest cork disk I have ever seen.
Abel is coming out with a Super 14. This reel is as big as the new Tibor and has an equally huge capacity/drag. Like all Abels, it is smooth as silk and finished like a jewel. Who is buying these reels? What are they fishing for? Are they catching anything? Both the Tibr and the Abel represent an interesting trend. Although I haven't seen it, Abel should introduce a new trout reel befor spring that will be light and have an outgoing clicker!
Reddingtons new reel is a combination of the battenkil, the vortex, and the STH cartrige reel. It has plastic interchangable spools and is shaped like a Vortex. It has a similar disk drag to the Battenkill. The spools(I think included with the reel) were yellow, blue and red. Ugly! Maybe a good value (like all Redinton products).
Ross has ported out the San Miguel and is finishing them a little different. This is not an improvment. Galvin has improved their internals making a good reel better. Same with Sage(I think these reels represent the future of salt water fly reels).

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.