Fly Fishing Forum banner

Coolest Gadget Contest (no hyperlinks)

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I just spend the weekend fishing with the three top gadget guys on the planet and it got me thinking about what others might have... tell us about your coolest flyfishing gadget!

(no links to non-sponsors allowed)

#2 ·
That will work.

I'd have to say my "Dick Tracy toy" is the new Garmin submersible / arm mount GPS. I have a handheld as well, but this one makes it easy to do other things like walk and fish with reading the screen as simple as checking time on a wristwatch.

There are two models, one takes regular batteries and the other is rechargable builtin. I ended up with the rechargeable based on availability, but it lasts a long time and I have not have trouble with battery life. One disadvantage is for poor planners, running out in the field means no quick battery swap for the built-in.

It does not have mapping and is a fairly simple but waas enabled highly accurate unit and more than fits the bill for flats fishing, basic boat navigation, or bushwacking.

I like this GPS - but it would be even nicer if it had the tide, moon, pressure etc...

Some of my other favorite gadgets are very simple, like a doll needle for a nail knot tool. I will post some pics of this very easy to use gadget that keeps well in any foam flybox.

#3 ·
I'm the anti-gadget guy and I can't think of a single thing that will really excite anybody here. My most effective gadget is my homemade float tube anchor made of 3/8" nylon rope wrapped around a chunk of pavement. It was free and it works like a charm, even in a stiff breeze! :)

As you can tell, I'm a pretty simple fisherman.

#4 ·
Oh thats funny. When I took out my pontoon boat for the first time, I forgot my anchor at home. So I took some 30lb Maxima and wrapped it around 2 rocks. this kept me from spinning around in a cirlce, one for each side. I was lake fishing. When I was done, I cut the line, wrapped it up and threw it in the trash and let the rocks sink. Maxima save me that day.

Andre

#5 ·
Ahhh, the rock!

The single greatest gadget of all time. You can cast it either under or overhand with either arm, use it to gather small game animals once you get really good at the rock casting thing, fend off intruders, use it as a pillow (been there, done that), use it to tell time (the shade is on this side of the rock, last time I checked it was on that side of the rock, must be getting late) anchor a pontoon boat or Jimmy Hoffa, use it to predict tides (my rocks under water, tide must be comin in), stand on it, sit on it or fall off of it....

...and last but not least, sell it for $18.95 in a little box with some fake grass as a low maintenance pet (been there, dun that too :eek: )

Oh yeah, and you can use it to smash all those expensive electronic gadgets when they quit working, which they will :mad:

#15 ·
Fly spike

The rod rest shown is not available in any store as far as I know. I made the first one a couple of years ago and with some friends we made some more for them to use. In fact at the moment we are “re-designing” it to improve it. It's easy to use if you feel you need more than one ready-to-fish rod at hand.
It is a pointed spike with tubes attached to it in about the middle in which the butts of the rods fit, and on top I attached some Velcro lined with foam. It can carry 4 rods, but that is only because the 4 tubes fit nicely around the spine. With three a gap would have remained. You just push it firmly into the sand and your rods will be safe. But beware: dogs soak reels! :lildevl:

#16 ·
Weather Stone...

Hank it outside bedroom window...
Pull it in for the latest meteorological observations...
Wet=Raining
Dry= Not Raining
Ice covered=Was Raining then got Very Cold
Cold=Cold
Warm=Warm
You get the idea!?
Needs NO batteries...
Very reliable...
Good for determining weather trends...
Can also be used as a float tube anchor! :razz:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.