Fly Fishing Forum banner

Gotcha Clouser

11K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  bonehead 
#1 ·
Hello, just got back from Andros and had a great trip. Prior to the trip I bet I ordered a hundred flies and had no problems catching fish with what I had; but, when I left the last words the guide said was ...next time have some Gotcha Clouser's. I have looked and tried to find the tying instructions and materials list, but, to date I have not been successful. So, can you help me, Please? If you can post pictures, materials list and tying hints I would really appreciate it. Thanks... Traveller2926

#2 ·
Here is picture of that fly and here is what I wrote a couple years ago when I tied about 120 of Dick Brown's flies in his book:

"Locations are everywhere.. one of the famous used flys and is done in various colors. This is the original color.... Hook- 2 or 4.... this is on a 4.....Thread - Pink flat wax nylon.... Eyes- Medium bead chain, lead for fast sink..... Tail- Pearl Mylar tubing frayed..... Body- Pearl diamond braid..... Wing- Yellow krystal flash over blond craft fur. I am sure Polar fiber works as a good substitute. A lot more details in Brown's book about this fly and it is designed by Jim McVay."

Attachments

#3 ·
Hello, I'm trying to find this recipe as well, but the fly you described is the same as a gotcha only with yellow crystal flash. \

I looked in Dick Brown's book but couldn't find anything.

I did find something on the web, but it was tied clouser style using only craft fur for both wings.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this fly?

#4 ·
Hello, I'm trying to find this recipe as well, but the fly you described is the same as a gotcha only with yellow crystal flash. \

I looked in Dick Brown's book but couldn't find anything.

I did find something on the web, but it was tied clouser style using only craft fur for both wings.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this fly?

#5 ·
Traveller where did you fish in Andros?

The "gotcha clouser" I have seen and used is just a small clouser tied with polar fiber instead of bucktail. The color combo I have seen is pink thread, white belly, tan or pink wing and not much flash. Not much different than a big super gotcha aside from the lead eyes.

#7 ·
Gotcha Clouser Recipe

The same words were spoken to me a couple of years ago as I got off of the boat at Tranquility Hill. Over the years I have carried hundreds of patterns in my Box. Now I only carry 3 - Gotcha (in pearl and tan braid), Gotcha Closer, and the Horror.

Anyway - the way I tie it is with a pink nose, inch and half to two inch white buck tail, over Tan Bucktail, with some pearl krystal flash on #2's and occasionally on a #4.

Based on quickness of the tie I usually tie both color bucktail's on the point side of the shank - but I have buddies who tie it the traditional Clouser stsyle and do just as well.

Tie it sparse (only the long tips)

Mike

#8 ·
Clouser time

I realize its a late addition to the post, but I tied a few up last year for a salt trip and this is obviously just one of many variations that will do the trick. Thought it might help you out if you haven't had it answered yet. If I remember right, I got this from a friend who fishes Andros often and its more an example of the true clouser style previously discussed.

Hook: longer shank SS-take your pick of the sizes.
Tail: White bucktail with hint of flashabou
body: flashabou wrapped around tail material (tie down your bucktail along the entire shank of the hook for an "even" body)
wing: tan bucktail over light krystal flash
eyes: whatever. Painted spirit river in small size or regular metal are great
head: flourescent pink (gotcha) color

Easy as pie. Looking forward to throwing a few in a couple months at Andros. Have fun and remember what its all about.

Attachments

#9 ·
Gotcha Clouser...

I posted some pics on here a couple weeks ago... on the Tarpon Bonefish and other Saltwater Obsess.... pg.

Tie 'em big. (#2 Hooks and plenty strong).

As you can see, they basically look like Clousers, but with Gotcha colors. I like mine w/ Craft Fur since it has no bouyancy and will get down to big cruisers fast. Also, it has a natural translucency when fished in skinny water on bright days. It's all we used when we were there. Smaller flies were laughed at... but of course, we were going for those big, blue-backed monsters they have there. Nothing but double digits.

Bonehead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.