Fly Fishing Forum banner

Alaska salmon flies

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  FlyMan 
#1 ·
I'm headed to Juneau for some salmon fishing, for 2 weeks, in the 2nd week in September . I've never been salmon fishing and I'm looking for some pattern recomendations for the time and area. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

#4 ·
timing?

I was in Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway the second week of Sept last year and the salmon fishing was slow in general, with the big run apparently over. Ketchikan creek was full of carcasses and the locals were fishing for rainbows. Juneau fleets were targeting halibut. I am definitely not in the know when it comes to Alaska's fisheries, just happened to be there and was snooping about as best I could (as any fisherman would be when on a non fishing trip in fishing paradise). Are you timing your trip through a lodge or guide service?

#6 ·
Lots of choices.........

In the Freshwater aeas you will do just fine with a Comet in any bright color as long as it is stripped in (retrieved ) at a "VERY" fast pace. You can also do well with large surface skaters that look more like Bass Bugs called Wog's they too are fished mostly with a fast retreive.
As for saltwater tie or buy Clouser minows in Green and white Chartruese and white and shades of blue through lavender to imitate needlefish and sandlance and herring.
We had good fishing on top in the saltwater at times on surface flies and I would suggest you get ahold of some of the patterns that Leland here on the board has "perfected" over the last few years as they are really well done creations.
A final thought on freshwater patterns at the time of year you are going the pinks will be more than numerous they will be a major problem! I would stongly recomend that you tie a fair number of streamers (comet) whatever with a subtantial weed guard like capability. Many places have a mix of chum and Coho tossed in with all the Pinks (humpies) and you will not be able to fish for them if you are snagging a pink every time you strip your fly in. I had the most succses in this avoidance by tying my streamers for fresh water on the Wright McGill Keel Hooks I never found a better hook for that application.
Good luck it truly is "The Great Land"

#8 · (Edited)
I just got back from a Holland America Cruise Tour with the wife and did a 1/2 day fly out fly fishing excursion to get my first taste of Alaska fishing - and I'm ready to go back!

We flew to Admiralty Island, out of Juneau, and fished Green Creek. The salmon were plentiful and I must have caught at least 3 dozen pink salmon within three hours.

The only fly used was a bright pink Clouser! As mentioned in another post, strip it FAST.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.