Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly's for Rhody

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
Did a quick search on the subject - nothing jumped out at me. Since I'm a "deliberate" fly tier (one per sitting - maybe two deep eels) I need to get started.

So what do I tye, flatwings, Ray's fly, etc?

Fred A.

#2 ·
Make sure you have a few good bunker flies in the mix. deceiver variants like Page's bigeye baitfish are a good bet. Don't forget the success Hawkeye had with his slab profiled pattern with emphasized cheek plates (like a feeding bunker!).

I still have success with the real eels in bright colors during the fall especially in the surf around Charleston, East Beach, Napatree, etc.

If you have the livebody, a few big poppers for low light in the surf is a plus. The local pluggers yank some huge cows from the surf with poppers. I plan to be chugging a big banger in the surf this fall for sure, maybe on the two-hander in the big sloppy surf.

On the inside around Watch Hill, silverside patterns are the key especially if you're bored and want to keep busy with the plentiful large shad. Unlike stripers the hook must be a large percentage of the fly body for shad. Stripers make a run along the inside wall too, making for some easy entertainment at first light and dusk.

I hope we get some blitz action like the past years, can't see why not!

#3 ·
Last year Mike and I did very well with a simple marabou pattern. About 3" with a white schlappin tail, white marabou under body, and white marabou upper body. Throw on a bit of silver flash and a slightly oversized eye and you're good to go. If you wanted to get a little fancier you could form the head with e-z body - I've got a few of those tied up for the clave though they are a bit smaller than the ones we used last year.

#4 ·
Peanut Bunker (3-5") was the prominant bait the last two years, so you want some deceiver and/or spreader type flies. We are earlier this year so there may be more silversides, so you'll want some Clousers and/or epoxies. Then, in RI you do get Bay Ancovies, which are a little smaller then silversides, but you can pretty much use the same patterns. I'm going to bring a couple of Poppers & Crease Flies in case of Surface Blitzes; nothing is more fun than taking Bass On The Top!

#5 ·
The Ray's fly is a good one for the anchovies too. There is also a pattern in Ray's book for a chovy, I think it has some copper color in it. What I like about these flies is they cast well in windy conditions, which is what we've traditionally run into down in RI.

#7 ·
As a little back-up to the recommendations above, I've always had success this time of year with epoxy silverside patterns.

Yesterday the epoxy fly worked as well as an all white Catherwood Pogy style fly and ultra hair peanut bunker patterns.

Looking forward to the gathering!

Roop

#8 ·
I found gray or brown and white bay anchovy pattern very good today at Napatree area. I think if your on a boat and have fish passing by you like we did today, a floating line with a Clouser style bay anchovy would be the hot ticket. We had trouble pulling our sinking lines out fast enough to cast to the next group. A floating line would permit you to pull it out more quickly to cast to a new group or redirect to their new direction.

Greg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.