Fly Fishing Forum banner

Building room

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  grego 
#1 ·
Mike and I are planning on building our next boat for the upcomming season. It'll be 24' with 81/2' beam and we are searching for a work area like a barn or closed auto dealership in the south shore - Scituate - area. I'd sure love a heads up if you have any ideas that could fit the bill.

#6 ·
Greg,

I've read quite a bit about the plans for that boat - nice selection.

You may want to look into building a temorary shed/ Quanset hut out of PVC pipe and shrink wrap. THere are many wooden boat builders who do this, people will try to put it down regarding low temperature impacting curing times/ rates but you can get around that with one of those CAT heaters used on construction sites and using the right accelerants.

There is a boat builder next to the North Pembroke post office who you should stop & see. His name eludes me at this time.

And don;t be shy about calling me whenever you 2 will need an extra hand - I'd love to help out with something like this.

Good luck & happy holidays!

Roop

#7 ·
Hey Gregg,
If you go the route Roop mentioned, I bought a large kerosene heater with thermostat and I have a pot heater for a propane tank. Both are open flame and not what you will want to fire up during the FLAMABLES portion of the work, but your welcome to use them if you need, they are just collecting dust in my basement.
I'll keep an ear out for a location for you.
Good Luck, and as Roop said, if you need a hand, PLEASE ASK!

#8 ·
That is a sweet project! I can't wait to see it, and hope that you find somewhere to incorporate a new putting surface! ;)

Good luck, can't wait to see the pics.

Nick

#10 ·
Thanks Jeff and Brian,

The hut thing is a good idea and I'll definitely have to check that N. Pembroke connection out. If we go the hut route you can count on us begging for those heaters and I'll give you a 100% guarantee that we'll be asking for help when it comes to rolling that puppy over if not before that.

We'll keep a pictoral history of the project. I'll probably set up a web site for the project so I don't use up a lot of space here.

We just got the study plans and it's a full go. We'll be getting the full plans in a week or so and then the work starts.

#11 ·
Building Room

Gregg,

Just a wild idea, but what about the old Dodge dealership on 3A just across from the hardware store in Scituate? It looks mostl;y empty, and one of the old repair bays might be just the ticket.

Then again, I'm probably wrong...but Mom lives in Scituate, I visit a lot , and these ideas...well, you know...

Looks like a beaut. I hope all goes well. Maybe I'll see you on Duxbury Bay? Plymouth Harbor? Ya never know...

Best regards and Happy Holidays!

-Doc

#12 ·
The bubbly sounds great Adrian. How do new owners ever get the nerve to smash one of those hefty bottles on their hull? Does it count if you break the bottle with a hammer and let the fizzy fall on the boat?

I think I know the place you are talking about Doc. I'll get the number from the sign out front today and see what the possibilities are - thanks for the heads up. Next time you're in Scituate drop me a line - I live there. Our boat never gets winterized and if you can handle a nonfly experience we'll get you out for some cod.

#16 ·
Cool Greg! You should definitely go for it. It looks exceptionally doable and you'll be chasing fish while we are pulling our hair out - what's left of it. Do they have a model with a bit of a V? That would certainly give a smoother ride which is something I've come to appreciate having cruised many a chop in our boat with a flat planing surface.

#17 ·
Grego,

Every time I look at those plans I think about the 20' plywood skiffs the commercial fishermen use. They look like such a simple design and you could easily loft a semi-v into it, run it with a 25HP tiller, clean deck that won't snag a fly line....

Dynamite Payson has some similar designs, I even spoke with him a few times, worth looking into as well.

Good luck

#18 ·
Roop,

If you go up to the power boat index
You will see several nice models.

Growing up in Bourne we had several of those Plywood work skiffs. A 14' a 17' and a 19' that were pushed with a 10Hp, a 20Hp, & a 25Hp, respectively. The 19' I owned in halves with my brother & we did commericial Quahogging as a second job. Decent extra money & Bull-Raking is a great upper body workout; no need to go to the Gym those years!

These boats are great. Economical to run, very shallow draft & supprising dry, stable & sea-worthy. I wonder If I have any old Pics of our "Battleship Grey" Work boat?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.