Fly Fishing Forum banner

A Scary Rumor

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  skookum 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I hope this is just a false alarm, but maybe someone out there knows more about it. I hear that there may be an emergency closure of the Skykomish, Snoqualmie and Stilly this spring--as in, no catch and release season for wild steelhead in March and April. Anyway, like I said, no confirmation on this yet, but if it's true, we need to find out why and what we can do about it. I don't want to freak anybody out, but I'm a little worried just thinking about it. Anybody else heard about this?

#2 ·
Hmmm... I'm so out of touch being out here now. Wonder if it has to do with census taking offshore, or if there was a corresponding low in the smolt year for the majority of this returning class. Is there a link to the native endangered status that is restricting some of the columbia tribs?

I have a couple friends who work for WA as state biologists... let me see if I can find contact info...

#3 ·
Okay, still no confirmation other than more rumors flying around the Internet. I e-mailed the WDFW with questions regarding if this is true and what their methodology is for run size estimate--if what I hear is correct, they are basing this year's projected numbers on depressed runs the last two years. Of course, this--as we all know--is a faulty method due to fluctuations in both ocean and post-spawn river conditions. I also called our Region 4 biologist and left a message, but have yet to get a response from either contact. I will let you guys know if I find anything out, and please post any info you might have here. This is something we should all be concerned about. Thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.