Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dean River Rumor....

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  JDJones 
#1 ·
Hey, I hear a rumor that this will be the last year for unguided American (US Citezen) access to the Dean River. Well if it's true then the folks who wrote the original position paper in regards to limiting entry on the "Steelhead Rivers " of B.C. are right on target. The next for guided entry only will be the Kispiox and Copper.
Lets all rush out and book a guided trip with the Forks Guides to insure that 'Wild Steelhead Catch and Release " becomes a staple in the State of Washington. Like that will help!!!
I am haunted by not waters but by the volumes of publications and catalogs spilling there "Guts" on the wonders of "Steelhead Fly Fishing". Or even more so the "Economic Value" of the expierence.
The Thompson is closed the Dean is rumored to be all but closed and the original plan was for the rest to follow. I think I get the picture I hope some others get it too.

#3 ·
#4 ·
More than just a rumor

Was just made privy to some correspondence that says that this is more than just a rumor. Not sure if it will happen or not but apparently will be taken under review sometime this coming fall for possible implementation in '05. Apparently there is also some support for extending these restrictions to the Skeena tribs as well. As of now this is in the exploratory stage but at least on the Dean, apparently there is some significant support for it.

#6 ·
I would sure like to know what you guys have heard, and from whom. I have spent 5 of my last 7 summer vacations floating the Dean. Losing access now would be like losing an old friend.

I don't have any idea why they would waht to shut us out. The last week of August in the summer of '02' we were virtually alone on the river with the exception of the Lodge clients.

Steelheading for me means March on the Skykomish, and August on the Dean.

I may have some used flyrods for sale

Bubba

#7 ·
I too have heard that this is more than an unsubstantiated rumour. As a resident British Columbian I find this disturbing. Sure the crazy crowded conditions that existed on the Lower Dean this year were not acceptable. However, simply including the lower section in the lottery process would have sufficed.

The use of the Dean by BC anglers is not very heavy, certainly not when compared to the number of international anglers. I do not believe this regulation change is a result of complaints by BC anglers. So who stands to gain from such a regulation change? That is not difficult to figure out.

What concerns me as a British Columbian is that this may be the thin edge of the wedge that will lead to a situation similar to what exists in the Maritimes - pay for play. I see this as a public resource and it gets my hackles up when I see a small group trying to take advantage of it for their exclusive personal gain.

Furthermore, it concerns me that the stink that will come with this from US anglers will tar the average BC angler with the same brush. I see this as guide/lodge attempt to get more rod days on the Dean (and the Skeena) and make it their "private reserve", this I do not support.

#8 ·
in the Maritimes - pay for play & prescibed beats

Although these waters rank high on the list of famous, one might even go so far as to say fabled waters, I have a difficult time dealing with that system. I'll stay on the west coast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.