Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly tieing?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
I just bought a vise tonight and am trying to tie my first fly. I forgot to buy a whip finisher. Does anyone know of a website that illustrates how to tie off a fly?

Sean

#3 ·
Sean,

That was the site that I found a while back. It makes you realize how easy it is to tie a whip finish.

I whip and then I dab some super-glue (really the same as Zap-A-Gap) on the thread just to give the fly some added life.

If you ever want to get together for some tying then I am game. Of course, I live in NH and you live in RI but we could meet south of Boston and tie up a few patterns. I am sure that Jeff B would be game too.

-Mike

#4 ·
If you use cement, a few half hitches should work fine. If you whip finish, cement or Zap a Gap is redundant.
I find that I loose the fly, a fish mauls it, it rusts in the fly box during the off season, or I sharpen the hook beyond it's useful life befor the head unravels. Your mileage may vary, but if you forget how to whip finish, you can be confident in a couple of half hitches and some glue.

#5 ·
Anytime...

Mike,
That would be great. I tied up a few flies to match the blondes Alan tied for me and I have to admit that only a pretty dumb fish would fall for those ratty looking things. I went back to the river today and picked up three small schoolies 10"-12". We'll definitely have to hook up on the Cape pretty soon as well. Shoot me an email if you have a date in mind for some tieing.

seanmcdermott@hotmail.com

Sean

#7 · (Edited)
Weighing in...

...nothing more than opinion and experience.

Frankly, the several whip finishing tools I own sit idle and virtually ignored, as I finish almost all heads I tie with my fingers, and I'll never figure out why I even bought them. I've almost always finished flies that way; though I haven't tied anything tiny enough (insert EDIT to imply LATELY:whoa: ) to warrant using a precision tool, I still find it's almost a forced thought to reach for a whip-finisher. Maybe I'm stubborn or stupid, I don't know, but it seems a lot easier to just pick the thread up on my fingers and go from there.

#8 ·
Thank you.

A big thank you to all for the helpful advise. I caught my first fish on a fly I tied tonight (Olive over chartreuse closer). Not a monster but I will take a nice 12" schoolie any day. I also hooked and long range released a big fish (estimated at about 25-30"). The fish jumped out of the water and upon thinking back I think it may have been a weakfish. I don't recall seeing stripes and the fish had a yellowish tinge and changed directions abruptly a number of times which I have been told are all characteristics of this elusive fish.

Tight Lines,
Sean

#9 ·
Sean, regarding your observation of the Blonde series.

Think about the pioneers of saltwater fly fishing and the name Joe Brooks. Historically, Joe's credited with the Blonde series, as is well known, but - that series is heralded as a premier in the development of saltwater tying patterns. If you look at the basic pattern, compare it to the deceivers you recognize today. It's widely accepted, not to slight any one other tyer of repute, that the deceiver, weighted head or other similar styling is fine tuning of Brooks' Blonde series.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.