Fly Fishing Forum banner

INTRUDER Pattern ( attention Dana and Tyler)

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Norseman 
#1 ·
Well tried my hand at this one the other night, and tied it on a tube. They are certainly a labour intensive fly. Having one in hand now, I can certainly see why they illicit such arm straigntening strikes.

This baby runs a full 5 1/2 inches

Showed this to a few non steelhead fishing friends, and the first thing out of their mouths was " wow that looks like a big shrimp "

My daughters cat also went nuts when he saw it , chased me around the house trying to get a taste, guess he thought it looked like food too.

I can imagine if a cat with a brain the size of a walnut likes it, then a steelhead with a brain the size of a pea should be all over it.

Dana and Tyler....once I get a chance to tie a few more I will mail them off

Best regards.....Paul

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
JD

The toughest part was stripping the pheasant tail to wrap as hackle. Ed Ward apparently uses a razor to split and strip the tail. I found an easier way was to soak the pheasant tail in water for several hours ahead of tying. Grip one side of the fibers and hold the tip of the stem firmly. Pull down on the fiber side slowly and steadily. You end up with a pithy ( spl??) membrane and all the fibers attached to the membrane, makes for an easier job winding it as hackle.

If you need the pattern it is in the winter issue 2002 of Fish&Fly Magazine on page 73

Have fun, I think this one will be worth the effort of 30- 45 minutes on the vise.

#11 ·
Thanks Dana

I will get to the flies just as soon as I can. We have two fisheries here in Nelson right now that are just fantastic. The Columbia river just gave up a 17lber on a bugger and many more coming in at the 6-8 lb range, so I am having a difficult time concentrating any amount of time at the vise.

Gotta go, the fish are calling.

Jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.