Fly Fishing Forum banner

OK, one more hobby I can't resist.

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
First I just started as a very basic fly fisherman. Used an old glass hand-me-down rod from my Grandfather, some of his (and my) store-bought flies and went out and whipped the water until every fish in sight was gone.

Eventually I got the hang of casting enought to get at least two or three really good casts each time I went out. I got a little bold and purchased an inexpensive fly-tying kit from LL Bean and have been using only my own tied flies ever since.

Now I am at the point where I only have about two dozen bad casts in an outing and I have tied about five or six proven trout patterns. So as I get the hang of both tying and fishing, I couldn't help but tackle another task.....

BUILDING MY FIRST ROD!

My first step was to read the entire ROD RACK section of flyfishingforum.com and all posts in this forum, as well as all the links (especially flyshop.com and flyanglersonline.com). By the way Jim, I printed out your testimonial as a guide as well.

So once I sell my house and move up north to Plymouth, NH I will be purchasing my first blank and other components! (as well as getting a digital camera so you can see some pics of NH fishing, flies and the like!)

Gawd, what would I do with all my money if it wasn't for fly fishing???:eyecrazy:

See less See more
#2 ·
Stone,
I've built a few rods now, and recently picked up a really good book on the topic; can't think of what it's called (so it must be reaaally good), I'll have to look later. It has a few pointers that the websites don't offer. I'll check into it tonight. Rod building can be a lot of fun if you have a motorized turner; if not, well, it might get a bit tedious.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.